The Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 65browneyes, Jun 7, 2008.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I know all you expert builders out there will think this silly, but when I consider the fact that I don't build anything outside of the kitchen (salad, cake, cookies, pasta, etc), I'm pretty proud of this little charmer.

My broody and her lone, 5 week old chick have tired of the solitary confinement inflicted on them all those weeks ago. I needed to move them, but didn't want to throw that poor little chick to the "wolves" in the main flock just yet. And, I still had 8 week old Polish in the nursery.

I felt like the Polish needed to be in with the rest of the flock (I'm hoping all goes well tonight and in the morning), but they are small enough that I thought they might need a shelter they can go to get away from the big girls.

So, I set out to build it for them. Mother's Day weekend, we tore down an OLLLD barn and haven't managed to clear all the 'debris' from that away yet. I went scavenging and found 12 pieces of 2 x 4's in approximately the same lengths.

I wanted to do this project by myself, without having to rely on DH for anything. I didn't want to use any power tools (I won't even use an electric knife!! LOL), so I didn't want to have to cut any wood.

I got the frame built, started looking through the scraps from the barn for a suitable piece of plywood for a top. Found a lot of too big, too long, too short, too small; but kept going back to one sheet of 5/16s. It was the right width, but far too long. I broke and asked DH to cut it for me. I know, I know, I could have cut it myself, I just honestly didn't want to. I'm too clumsy to be trusted with power tools, remember? LOL

DH cut it for me, DD and I painted it to protect it from the weather a bit, and this is what I came up with. Here you see the front view. I cut a doorway out of the chicken wire and covered it with a length of old rubber garden hose. I split the hose, fed it over the sharp edges of wire, and basically 'sewed' it on with the wire that wrapped the new roll of chicken wire that I bought months ago.

[​IMG]

And, a side view. DD put our silky rooster, Sparky on top for fun.

[​IMG]

It measures approximately 24" deep x 28" wide x 24" tall.

Pics are big again, and I KNOW I resized them, honest! LOL

2. paisleycj

paisleycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    I like what you did with the garden hose, good idea. It's always a good idea to not to push your limits with power tools. The accidents can be pretty unforgiving. I use power tools, but I grew up around them. I also have a pretty patient brother that shows me how to use them correctly. My son (he's 25) was giving me pointers on using a table saw the other day. That was a very neat experience.

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Great idea!

Empowering, isnt it? [​IMG]

4. warsaw

warsaw Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    rural Ohio
    I think its a great idea

5. 65browneyes

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    In all fairness, the garden hose was DH's idea. I was going to just use duct tape on the sharp edges. The garden hose will last longer, and I think it is a better alternative.

I haven't seen any of them in it today, but they've definately enjoyed standing (and pooping) on it! LOL Glad I took the pics last night 'cuz it ain't pretty today! LOL

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hmmm, that gives me some idea of what to do when my chicks hatch.

7. 65browneyes

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I thought the smaller ones would really appreciate having a 'safe zone' from the big girls, but they sure haven't used it! LOL

Maybe I need to add a neon "OPEN" sign above the door? LOL

8. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    What a great idea! Next time, your construction project might be a little bigger and more complicated...or not.

I'm stealing your hose idea (YOU sewed it. That makes it YOUR idea.). [​IMG]

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    You go, girl! That garden hose thing is brilliant!

10. 65browneyes

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:HA!! I'm telling DH in the morning that the hose is MINE! LOL!! Thanks for pointing that out for me!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by