The Seramas are here, the Seramas are here!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thereseiam, Oct 26, 2009.

1. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Okay, I was supposed to get these chickens weeks ago, but life kept getting in the way. Turns out, it's a good thing I waited, as the seller was really, really desperate to lower his numbers before winter hits, and I walked away with 25 pullets/cockerels, and 12 fertile eggs! I have no idea what I'm going to do with this many little chickens, but so far, they are just fun to look at.

Things I've noticed about Seramas thus far:

1) They are NOISY! I'm not sure if it's because they just arrived and are all worked up, but man, these are little birds with big mouths and a lot to say.

2) They are CUTE cute cute! Their little tails stick straight up, and they strut around like they own the world. Oh, and did I mention that they are cute?? [​IMG]

3) These little buggers can *fly*. I mean way more than my layers do.

4) They come in an amazing range of colors--who knew? I'd only seen pictures of Seramas before, and all the pictures I'd seen were of white birds, but I brought home white ones, white and grey, blacks, tans, tan and black--all sorts of pretty colors, and all with that crazy cute tail that sticks straight up.

All of my birds are young--anywhere from three weeks to three months of age, but I can already tell that I have WAY too many roos in with the batch, so if anyone is close to Eastern Iowa, and wants a Serama roo or two, I am your girl! Also, I don't have an incubator, so am hoping that my silkies will nest on the eggs, but if anyone with a 'bater near here would like the eggs, I really don't need another 6-12 chicks. It's just that the man I bought the birds from was going to break up the nests and toss the eggs, which have been set on for two weeks, so I thought that I might as well give them a chance. (slim as it is. . .)

I will get some pictures of the new birds, but am waiting for a camera cord to get here through the mail--compliments of my darn dog who ate the last one.

Therese
    happy new Serama owner

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Don't you love them? Such a nice breed. I want to see them!

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Me too please post pics of them.

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    What purpose do you have in mind for them? Breeding as pets? For show? To sell? Or just pets?

Pictures please!

5. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Ondra's Seramas :

What purpose do you have in mind for them? Breeding as pets? For show? To sell? Or just pets?

Pictures please!

I ordered the cord to download pics, and it was supposed to have shipped today (my dog ate the last one [​IMG] ) so pictures soon.

I don't really have much of any purpose in mind for them--mainly just as pets. I've never raised chicks before, so possibly when they are old enough (they are all only 1-3 weeks old, except for one cockerel who is six weeks) I would like to see if I can raise a batch or two. I don't want to raise too many as I'm not sure what the market is around my area, and I don't want to have more birds than I can handle.

Right now my biggest goal is to tame them down a bit--these little birds are wild as march hares. One of the things that appealed to me so much about the Seramas is how friendly they are supposed to be, so I hope that a few of the ones I have now will turn out to be personable.

Any suggestions on how to get them a little less wild?

Also, I enjoyed reading about them on your site--great job!

Therese​

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Oh, the old "dog ate my homework" trick! The Seramas should be calming down by now. Poor things.

7. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    Quote:1. Yes ~ but the good news is they calm down after a while
    2. Yes ~ [​IMG]
    3. Yes ~ the first day home I lost two of them twice...I had to use my golden to "hunt them up" and find them for me
    4. Yes ~ I just love the many colors its great

Also what a good lookin long ear ya got [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats!

Just keep offering them treats and then offer them by hand. Catch one and carry it around for a while. That helps.

They should calm down a bit with age. Young birds are flighty!

Some here are born tame, and some just need some extra TLC!

9. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    do u have pics??
    i would love to see what they look like

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by