1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The shape/texture of the egg has changed. Is there a deficiency?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by melanie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    My Buff Orpington has started laying eggs shaped more like Weebles instead of an oval egg. Also, the egg has a band slightly thicker around the widest part of the egg. Is this a deficiency or some sort? I noticed the egg slightly split on the band when I hard boiled it. The other hens have only been here about 6 weeks and their eggs are normal. Thanks.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible she is laying bigger eggs at this time of year, and might benefit from more calcium both for the shell and for her muscle tone when laying. I assume your layer feed has oyster shell and that she isn't getting too many treats? If she is a hog for treats, she may be lacking a bit...[​IMG]

Also check her vent area to see that all appears to be normal...

3. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the reply. I have been feeding them a 14% wild game cock maintence mix. It's mostly seeds, corn and I wanted to feed it instead of a crumble type feed as this seemed less processed than the laying feed. After looking on the internet it seems it's not enough protein, is that right. The people at the feed store recommended this feed as it's not as messy as the crumble. I have a banty rooster and wanted to avoid pellets as they may be hard for him to eat. Should I switch feed? thx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by