The She Shed Conversion

naturegeek168

Songster
Jan 14, 2017
North Benton, OH
The before

The DH and I got some decent work done on the coop today and yesterday. Fixed the hinges so the doors actually open and close on the shed turned coop. Got the posts for the run set in quickcrete and the rebar set through the first pallet. 26 days and counting!

Nice roost pockets against wall....how about on the other side?
Is that composite(plastic)lumber?
Will you block off bird access to the loft area above the roosts?

That's a nice sized building...might need more ventilation.
Saw a neat re-roof of that style roof where they added open eaves at the bottom of all 4 roof planes.

@aart thanks! The other side is just a ledge for it to sit in but I'm going drill a hole through each one and add a dowl rod as short of a peg in hole system to make sure the don't move. Yes that is composite, it was left over from a decking project and I thought it might be easier to clean plus you can't get much better than free
1f609.png
. So I will be building chicken wire wall because they will only get the back third of the shed (for now! Don't tell my husband haha). The loft will be moved up to that so we can still use it for storage. However we are going to leave the back 4 out of 6 feet of the coop area loft free so there is no impediment to ventilation and we will block off the coop side of the loft with chicken wire. I apologize if that is utterly confusing but as soon as it's done I will post pictures. As for ventilation we are currently thinking of trying to get a powered exhaust fan with a thermostat. However for the winter months there are already two vents, one at the front and one at the back, I just might need to tweek them a bit to make them more useful. We are hoping down the line to roof the run and if we do that we would re-roof that side of the shed and open eaves sounds like an awesome idea, thanks!

Makes sense!

I was wondering if chooks would get the whole shed....unless those quads are yours, it's not a she shed ;-)

Last edited:
@aart that is gender profiling, however they are not mine so....a correct assumption haha
1f603.png
. The plan though is that the shed is for chickens, chicken supplies, and my gardening stuff but the DH has a storage problem as in he's got more stuff than he has places to put it
1f609.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom