The Silveira Coop/Garden Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by calista, Jan 27, 2010.

1. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Your forum is completely addictive and extremely informative! So I quit lurking today and registered. I'll post an intro a little later, but I would like to say I've raised chickens in one form or another for 40 years and will be sharing my tips for a healthy flock, in hopes I can add some value to this site. (Although I am very impressed at how thoroughly all the relevant topics have been covered here.) [​IMG]

However, right now, I'm in need of some feedback. I tried a topic search and didn't see any mention of anyone here building John Silveira's design for a fenced chicken coop/garden:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/silveira44a.html

This is what we plan to build in March. I'd sure love to hear from anyone who's built this design and what worked and didn't work for you before we hire a carpenter.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Welcome to the funny farm!

I think there are a couple of people on here who have used this or are using this type of set up. If I had more land that is definately how I would set things up.

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
  4. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I love that coop / garden plan so much.

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Welcome Calista! [​IMG] I'm also from the Seattle area, a little too close to town for my taste. However, since that's where my jobs are, I can't feel too bad about the arrangement. [​IMG]

Look forward to hearing from you more in the future!

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I also love that plan. I just recently saw it. Unfortunatly, not before I choose the coop site, Had the same thought except for I placed the coop next to a fence line on one side and garden on other. If only I could talk the BF in to moving out very heavy coop. He keeps saying "I'm not feeling that one". Oh well I'm going to keep on working on that. Only has to move about 100 ft. [​IMG]

7. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    Many thanks for the welcome and the comments so far. The "Front Porch Indiana" people did a great job and gave me some more ideas.

Here's another article I found about this setup from someone else who built it:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/geno0704.html

Just for grins, I posted an ad for a labor gig on Craigslist, citing Silveira's article, asking for estimates about what such a project would cost. Well, unemployed contractors came out of the WOODWORK, so to speak! I have 46 replies so far and estimates from $1600 to -- wait for it -- TEN THOUSAND BUCKS. Even AFTER we stipulated rustic, rough finishing, no painting, use of recycled and scrap materials, etc. [​IMG]

I guess I should have left those gold-plated roosts out of the diagram. [​IMG]

8. bantybev

bantybev Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    SW Michigan
    [​IMG]
    I absolutely love that type of plan and am definately going to implement it into our new home when we move this Spring! My two favorite hobbies in one organized, convenient space. I think this will work out great for us in this area, using the sun to help heat, placing the windows in the most productive places for winter warmth.

You are right, Calista, this site is very addicting. So much information and stories from so many wonderful people. Welcome aboard! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  9. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    thats genius, but if i did that i wouldn't have a chicken flock in 1 week because of the hawks

10. Thanks for posting the link to that article . I dearly love Backwoods Home mag , been reading it since the first issue !

The John Silveira Coop/Garden Design is a really a smart idea ! With the Hawks around here though i would be scared to give it a try.

Fay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by