The Silver Sebrights were extra adorable today! (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    My hens free-ranged today because there was lots of sun and (relatively) warm weather. Of course, I had to take pictures while I was out, and none attracted the camera more than these three adorable little ladies!

I found Vespa on her tippy-toes snatching drops of water from the downspout out of mid-air. Cuteness! :love

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Frankie was sunning against the house.

[​IMG]

She was soon joined by Cuter Scooter, who even bristled out her neck feathers to catch as much sunlight as possible.

[​IMG]

Frankie moved in to preen. Scooter appeared to be studying Frankie's technique.

[​IMG]

Scooter then decided to join her. Synchronized preening, anyone?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Frankie was unusually calm around me today. I managed to get a great picture of her on the perches, the best shot I've ever taken of her.

[​IMG]

Then they all went together to get a bite to eat. It seems like these girls never do anything without the other two nearby. :love

[​IMG]

(For those that don't know, these little ladies were basically rescued from what we believe was an abusive previous owner, who did that botched debeaking job on these poor babes. They have been in chicken paradise for about a year and a half now. :) )

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow! That someone would do that. And [​IMG] to you for giving a quality of life that is evidenced in their condition. [​IMG]

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    [​IMG] super cute!! i love silver laced, but right now im stuck with gold laced, which suit me just fine too!

4. Cute!

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    What a great photo session they had. I am glad they are still able to eat and preen despite the previous owners botched debeaking. They look pretty and happy.

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Aw! They're so cute! How (and why) on earth would anyone do that to them?! They're just so cute... [​IMG]

7. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Adorable birds and I congratulate you on rescuing them. They are far too pretty to be abused. They are clearly spoiled now!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Very pretty! I enjoyed the show!

9. Nike

Nike Young&Beautiful

Jul 8, 2012
    My Coop
    Oh wow they are just gorgeous! I'm glad you ended up with them, they look so happy!

10. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Thanks, everyone! :D I'm super happy with how well these girls have been doing!

As far as eating and preening, they do just fine in that regard. Frankie, of course, has the toughest time, but I'm always checking her weight to make sure she isn't getting too thin. Because she is practically without an upper beak, she literally can't eat anything except the chicken feed in their deep dishes, so she doesn't usually go far free-ranging. She preens just fine, but if she closes her eyes, she sometimes doesn't realize when she has reached the end of a feather and kind of preens the air for a moment. (I find that really cute to watch, even though it's also kind of sad. :oops: )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by