the size of pea combs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, May 29, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Hello I have 5 chickens that are almost 5 months old. The black sex link Susan has a large floppy comb and impressive wattle that has come in the last few weeks, wich i'm told is a sign that she will begin laying soon. I'm concerned that my speckled sussex Agnes, my cuckoo maran beatrice, and my ameracauna Nell"s comb and wattle is barely present. I have a red sexlink and she has a slighlty larger comb and wattle but still nothing compared to Susan's. I got them all when they were the a couple of days old. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like things are on schedule, or if i need to do something for the ones who haven't got a pea comb at 5 months?[​IMG][

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry im not sure but hopefully someone will help...

3. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thanks i appreciate your response, I guess it's a silly question. The eggs will come when they come. thanks though[​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think sex links are bred to mature a bit quicker, as well as having a larger comb than some breeds. Large combs and wattles help chickens in confinement deal with heat. Some of the other breeds have been bred to do well in colder climates and have smaller combs and wattles for that reason. I would just try to be patient. They will develop and lay when it's their time. I know it's hard to wait, though!

5. wanttobefarmer

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Thanks so much for your educated response, I never knew that. It always amazes me how something like raising chickens for eggs can be so interesting. I'm posting a pick of Susan the black sex link.[​IMG] She's the one on the left with her head low and of course the wattle and comb

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What beautiful chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by