The Skunk...... IS BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the lone rhubarb, Aug 14, 2010.

1. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

Yes I know, we shot the Skunk, but I think he told some of his little skunk buddies where all the farm fresh eggs are.
    Because, the other night, my friend went out to the coop, AND THERE WERE EGGS MISSING AND IT SMELLED LIKE
    SKUNK!!!!!! Unless it was an extreeeeemly clever fox, coming in, stealing eggs, and leaving a skunk scent, I'm
    pretty sure that ANOTHER skunk has come!!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I don't know of much I can do, cause I REALLY
    don't want to shoot another one, and have the coop smell like that for another month, but I can't lose eggs. [​IMG]
    All I really can do, andthis works pretty good, is get the eggs in the afternoon so theres nothing for him to get
    (I'll just call him Skunkums). But I am afraid that if he doesn't find eggs, he might just munch on a nice tasty
    chicken!!!!! Haha. So do skunks even eat chickens? Well I suppose I've rambled on for long enough [​IMG]

- Rhuby

2. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    We have a skunk going after our compost pile but I don't think it can get into our coop. DH shot and killed one. Thankfully he's a good shot and got him in the head so the yard didn't stink too badly. I have a 2 and 4 year old so I can't afford something that has a good chance for carrying rabies to be in my yard. I ran into him during the day which really worries me. We have a large wooden fence around our back yard but dug a hole under it. So far he hasn't gotten into our coop at least.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They will go for smaller chickens.

Set a trap and shoot it and bury it.

I hear a clothes pin on your nose helps.....

4. the lone rhubarb

the lone rhubarb Out Of The Brooder

Thanks [​IMG]. Well, I do have some chickens that he probly could munch, but they sleep on
    two big oil drums (with lids), so I don't think he could get them, but I don't know. Anyway,
    thanks for posting helpful stuff on here!!! I would try to trap and shoot, but it would need
    to be near the coop, so it would still stink haha. [​IMG] But oh well, it will all work out
    eventually. [​IMG] And to Skunkums: [​IMG]

5. scruffysmom

scruffysmom Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    I've heard that if you use a live trap (hav-a-hart) that's covered, the skunk won't spray. Then you could take him elsewhere to rid yourself of him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by