The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by basicliving, Jun 27, 2008.

1. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I wonder if there's one in every flock. You know the one that will be pecking at the ground with all the others and everyone else wanders off - and she suddenly realizes she's all alone and starts running around screaming like crazy? Or she'll go into the coop with a few others to take a nap and when she wakes up alone she sends out a distress call that sounds like the local fire department whistle going off?

I have a little Golden Penciled Hamburg like that. I go out several times a day to shoo her over to the others and calm her down. She's skittish and runs from me, so I just walk behind her and guide her to the others.

Because I never know if it's her or another that really is in distress, I always go out to check out the situation when she does this. Is there one in every flock? Or am I just lucky [​IMG]

Penny

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    LOL, I've got a few like that. [​IMG] Guess we're both lucky. [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh yes, I have one like that....so I sat her down, and told her the story of the little boy that cried wolf! [​IMG]

5. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quote:I tried that. She just looked at me like "And what does that story have to do with ME?" I guess what bothers me the most is that the other chickens just ignore her now. It really could end up like the little boy that cried wolf!

I was going to name her Henny Penny - but being as my name is Penny, I just thought that was a little too weird [​IMG]

Penny

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    We have a silver speckled hamburg who is exactly the same way. She's 4 months old now and still very skittish...crying for the others, etc. Maybe is partly breed related??

7. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My two hamburgs are about the most laid back of my flock, so go figure . . .

8. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I have 4 of the Golden Penciled Hamburgs, and they are all the most skittish of my 23. But only the one is such a little baby about being alone and getting scared though. She really makes me laugh, but I wish she'd learn to look for the others before panicking.

Penny

9. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My only girl is like that, i think she just liked the attention of having her four brothers run over to prorect her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by