the smell!?! Any tips? Give them a bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greytmommy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    my chicks are a LOT smellier now. Their poo stinks way way more than it did a week ago. Any tips for helping it? I want to hold them and such, but the smell is pretty offputting. I change the shavings regualrly. Can I give the chickies a bath? Will that help? Can I feed or suppliment w/ anything to help the rank poo smell?

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Bathing them won't make their poo smell better! If it's the actual chicks themselves that smell, your brooder probably needs to be cleaned out more often than you've been doing it up till now. But even if the brooder's clean they will probably step in their own poo right before you want to pick them up. That's just chickens for you though...

3. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    I can't stand the smell of chicken poop either! By the time mine got to be four weeks old I used a plastic glove and picked the poops out morning and night. That was the only thing that helped!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Change the litter, then change the litter again, then change it again. I am up to changing my chicks' cage twice a day now. Nothing else will work unfortunately since it's not their bodies that smell.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yal are funny. [​IMG]
    I only change mine once a week. At 4 weeks they go from the baby brooder to the grow out brooder.
    DE sprinkled into the bedding helps control oders. [​IMG]

6. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Quote:OMG..thank you SO much. I will get some DE....

Mine are only 2wks, so the thought of them getting SMELLIER is terrifying! i am cleaning out the brood box once a day already! and I love to love on them....and they just STINK! I might wash thier legs and feet, b/c I am sure that is part of the smell on them.

And I dont think it is normal, but they sometimes have runny poop. Isnt it supposed to be pretty firm?? Maybe I am giving them too many treats? They have access to sand/gril and have been eating it....

7. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I know this has been asked before but what does DE stand for? I feel silly for asking but can't figure it out. I get what it's for but don't know what it's called. [​IMG]

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My outdoor brooder flooded during a bad storm last week. The chicks were soooo gross! [​IMG] I wiped them down as best I could but it was too cool to bathe them. I finally took them out to a sandy area of the yard and let them dust bathe which helped a lot.

9. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Yep, me too...whats DE? [​IMG]

10. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    JustAChickenLittle&More :

Yep, me too...whats DE? [​IMG]

DE = Diatomaceous earth

Google it, its pretty amazing - many uses.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by