The sniffles!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fatcatbigbat, Dec 13, 2013.

1. fatcatbigbat

fatcatbigbat New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Gansevoort NY
    A few birds in my flock have been sneezing, have watery eyes, and making strange noises. I'm hoping it's not something serious. It's starting to get pretty cold here in upstate NY. Could that be part of the problem? Please help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be the cold weather, but it also could be a virus like infectious bronchitis. I would watch for other symptoms such asfacial swelling or nasal discharge. Make sure that the coop has plenty of ventilation and no dust.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    There are only two reasons I know of for chickens to regularly demonstrate respiratory problems (regular sneezing, discharge, watering or bubbling eyes):

1) An environmental irritant, such as a lot of dust (dusty food or a very dusty coop can do this), or
    2) Infectious disease.

Chickens don't get colds, and even when my birds have experienced bitter cold (-30) they have not had discharge or watery eyes.

6. fatcatbigbat

fatcatbigbat New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Gansevoort NY
    Thank you all for replying. I have started them on antibiotics and will try to quarantine the sick ones.

7. fatcatbigbat

fatcatbigbat New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    Gansevoort NY
    Once I have quarantined them, is it bad to leave them in that coop all day?

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They need fresh air, but they also may need a little extra heat since chickens with respiratory illness may get chilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by