The snood of a turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kycowgirlchick, Mar 5, 2009.

1. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

My male turkey Snood got really swollen back in the winter. I gave him some antibiotics and the swelling went down. Then it turned Black. He hasnt been acting right. Then last night I found him dead. My 2 hens are acting just fine. Has anyone heard or had this happen. What might it be??
    This was a time span of about 4 months.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Read about Erysepalus (check the spelling on that) it describes very closely what happened to your turkey. Look up poultry diseases and type that in....sorry for your loss

3. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I typed that in and came up with nothing. I will keep searching for more information. Is it contagious???

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Sounds like he got a bad case of frostbite and probably infection that spread through his body and killed him. For survival from severe frostbite, the infected tissue needs to be removed. Sorry for your loss.

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I typed in Common poultry diseases and it's spelled erysipalus.

6. myhenhouse

myhenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    Washington State
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Tom lost his snood... went from long red and vibrant to being gone.... His wattle isn't vibrant red and big anymore either. Any ideas? He's not drumming or being all manly all of the sudden, he actually looks like a hen now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by