The sounds muscovies make

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SkyBlueJar, Oct 20, 2013.

1. SkyBlueJar

SkyBlueJar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm a new muscovy owner and would like help understanding the noises my birds are making. They're 4 months old. The duck trills very softly; usually she's backing away from a human observer. So is that a sound of distress? The drake opens his bill and pants quietly, also while backing away from a human observer. Sounds like he's practicing his lamaze breathing? He does not seem aggressive at all; maybe alarmed? What other sounds can muscovies make and what do they mean? Thanks!

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    The only sound I've ever heard them make is kinda like a hiss while bobbing their head

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Young birds chirp(or coarse) as they age, females can trill, coo, chirp, quack and hiss ... drakes(the males) only hiss.. they basically get no voice after their juvenile voice leaves.

My girls can REALLY get going, the drakes can intensify their hissing when in fights and trying to show off... but again almost mute.

Welcome to scovies! and the board. [​IMG]

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    It's funny when they get in a circle facing each other and do it

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I like it in the morning when most haven't seen each other overnight. my them girls can make a racket. It's like they are so happy to see each other and their fearless leader the drake. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by