The "Special" Chickens

AuntWrenny

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
I have fallen in love with chickens but especially 3 special little chicks. Their names are Matt, Slew, and Dub.

We placed our first order for mail-order chicks this year. We got them and put them into the area we had prepared for them and the temperature took an unexpected dive. The chicks stampeded through their waterer and got thoroughly soaked. Out of 75 chicks, we lost 33. We were devastated.

Of the survivors there were 3 special chicks. They were in severe shock and were barely alive but they fought and fought for every breath. We did everything we could but figured they would die by morning. Now the chicks are 6 weeks old but their survival came with a cost...the lost many of their talons and Matt, shown below, lost the tip of one wing.

We decided to make these chickens pets but they are all cockerells. I plan on building them a handicapped accessible coop so they can live as normally as possible. They are surprisingly docile and enjoy being petted and fussed over. One of the things I find fascinating is that they have started imitating song birds. I'm guessing that since they only hear themselves and songbirds due to their separation from the flock, that they have decided that this is how birds talk. I'm waiting to see how long this continues since they aren't fully grown.

So far they are getting along but I'm not sure that this will conntinue once they mature. I'm enjoying them while I can and I thought others might enjoy seeing my "Special Chickens".

That's really special
hugs.gif

ETA, I've seen a number of bachelor pads for roosters on here. Evidently as long as they aren't competing with hens they do fine. Pretty much like people!

Last edited:
That's really special
hugs.gif

ETA, I've seen a number of bachelor pads for roosters on here. Evidently as long as they aren't competing with hens they do fine. Pretty much like people!
I didn't know roos could get along if no hens were around! Hmmm. That's good news for these special guys. Thanks for sharing their story.

Back
Top Bottom