The "Special" Chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AuntWrenny, May 7, 2012.

1. AuntWrenny

AuntWrenny Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    I have fallen in love with chickens but especially 3 special little chicks. Their names are Matt, Slew, and Dub.

We placed our first order for mail-order chicks this year. We got them and put them into the area we had prepared for them and the temperature took an unexpected dive. The chicks stampeded through their waterer and got thoroughly soaked. Out of 75 chicks, we lost 33. We were devastated.

Of the survivors there were 3 special chicks. They were in severe shock and were barely alive but they fought and fought for every breath. We did everything we could but figured they would die by morning. Now the chicks are 6 weeks old but their survival came with a cost...the lost many of their talons and Matt, shown below, lost the tip of one wing.

[​IMG]

We decided to make these chickens pets but they are all cockerells. I plan on building them a handicapped accessible coop so they can live as normally as possible. They are surprisingly docile and enjoy being petted and fussed over. One of the things I find fascinating is that they have started imitating song birds. I'm guessing that since they only hear themselves and songbirds due to their separation from the flock, that they have decided that this is how birds talk. I'm waiting to see how long this continues since they aren't fully grown.

So far they are getting along but I'm not sure that this will conntinue once they mature. I'm enjoying them while I can and I thought others might enjoy seeing my "Special Chickens".

[​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    That's really special [​IMG]

ETA, I've seen a number of bachelor pads for roosters on here. Evidently as long as they aren't competing with hens they do fine. Pretty much like people!

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    How wonderful they are. Congrats on helping them make it xxx

4. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    So STinking CUTE and that is awesome that they survived!!

5. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Love this story & the pics....thanks for sharing [​IMG]

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I didn't know roos could get along if no hens were around! Hmmm. That's good news for these special guys. Thanks for sharing their story.

7. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by