1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The sportsman or dickey?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equine chick, Apr 9, 2008.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I am planning on getting another incubator in the next few months for bigger hatches. I know a good bit about the sportsman, what about the dickey? Does any one have one and what do you think about them?

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Id stay with the GQF sportsman, The new sportsmans they got out are very nice,

Brinsea Ova-bator in nice to, but a bit pricey They work very well..

Charlie

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I dont have a dickey but a breeder friend of mine does and she swears by it. Said she ran into a problem one time and the man who makes them talked her through it. She hatches chicks to sell.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I have heard plenty of good things about the dickey. Then I also have a friend who hatches 100's per year in his sportsman and hes had it for well over 20 years.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I really am aiming towards the sportsman. I looked at the dickey online and I prefer the big company that it is behind the sportsman. I think alot easier to get it repaired, replacement parts ect.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I'm not saying the dickey isn't a good incubator, but in the long haul the sportsman will hold its value. Parts are readily available as are upgrades.

I have a preference for the Ova Easy after using mine for the past year because temperature and humidity is just that much more constant throughout the incubator than my OLD sportsman.

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    What fits a Dickey fits a Gqf..the parts are the same I have both, And i know both parties that build them, Both are good incubators, only difference is Gqf makes and sells more than Dicky

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by