The "Squat"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imthedude, Jul 12, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Is the squat a sign of impending eggs? A few of my birds (19-21 wks.) have begun to do the squat when I get close to them and reach down to pick them up. I keep thinking that I'll go out and find an egg any day, but they seem to be taking their sweet time......

2. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    [​IMG] yep that's the "I'm a big girl now" dance. Get ready for those eggs to start appearing soon.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, eggs will be coming soon.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yeppers! I noticed that behavior with my very first pullets...they would do a little squat, and sometimes stomp their feet a little bit too....and then the first egg arrived shortly after that....maybe a few weeks after. I'm excited because my Speckled Sussex, Freckles, just did the squat for me this weekend! Very exciting!

You will definitely see eggs soon!

5. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, they will be laying within a week or two! That squat and their faces turning redder were the telltale signs that eggs were coming for us! Just yesterday, we got 6 eggs from our 10 chickens! They are almost 22 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by