1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the squat

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilovechickensrock, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    can you show me some pictures of "the squat" i am not sure what it looks like
    thanks [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242135

The
    pullet squats down low to make it easier for the rooster to mount them. They hold their wings out the side of the bodies. They are stiff with anticipation and some even stomp their feet in quick, rapid stomps. You really cannot miss it when it happens sometime around 16-22 weeks.

3. ilovechickensrock

ilovechickensrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    yaay that means one of my BR is gonna lay soon mabye not but who knows i still cant believe one of my BR is actully squatting yaay [​IMG] im sooo happy [​IMG] thanks for your help i didnt know that they stomp their feet that is the main reason i asked this question cause i wasnt sure if they stomped their feet when the squatted [​IMG]

4. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    so thats why they do that funny thing!
    It is so funny when ever I chase the chickens around they both squat and then i can pick them up, it looks like they think of me as there rooster! oh boy!

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Eggs soon...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by