The start of a frizzly friendship!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by duckncover, Sep 29, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Today around 3pm I was waiting impatiently in a parking lot outside a Dunkin Donuts. Suddenly a red pickup pulls up. The lady came out of the truck, hugged me, and handed me this tiny black fluff ball. She is a frizzle cochin bantam, about a month old. I took her home and I'm already beginning to like her.

Just a little background info: I do not keep my birds like most of you do. For I am not allowed to have them outside in a coop. So I keep them in my house full time with play dates to the outdoors. I don't have a big flock. 1 spoiled duck, 7 parrots, and now this little girl.

She is different than most of my birds. If she wants to get somewhere, she just goes there. My parrots and my duck can't climb stairs but she has no trouble. She is really friendly and tolerates (possibly enjoys) handling, petting, touching, etc. She doesn't really like the prototype diaper I made her but they all fight a little at first. It's part of being an indoor bird in my house I guess, haha.

She seems a bit underweight as I can feel her chest plate but she has a huge appetite. I'm just hoping she doesn't ingest any of her bedding.

I'm seeing some potential for command training with her. I can easily see her coming/jumping/flying to her name or returning to her coop on command. It's really a decked out m-lg dog crate but I call it a coop! :D

She will be very happy with me. Her and Quacker had an okay introduction and although they are different species I feel that having another poultry bird in my bedroom while I'm out will benefit them both. I would never trust them together due to size difference but as long as I'm right there with full attention I do let them mingle.

Here is some pictures of her. Oh and....SHE NEEDS A NAME!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Incukahlan

Incukahlan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    She's beautiful. I myself have both ducks and frizzles. Very fun. They will indeed get along perfectly fine after they get used to each other, as ducks and chickens both are very social and prefer to have a buddy or two at least. Are you sure that she is a she? I have not met anyone yet who could sex a frizzled cochin bantam, as bantams are almost impossible to sex. How old is she? I'm sure she'll settle right in, and will enjoy her freedom inside your home most definitely. I too keep some of my Roos in from time to time(with diapers [​IMG]) and they absolutely love it. My Frizzle Roo prefers to perch on top of my Great Dane, or simply sleep on the sofa. Lol. Once the pullet gets a little older you could leave both the duck and frizzle together alone with no issues. I personally would feel fine leaving them together now if your duck is female. My drakes are always dominant with my chickens, but my female ducks love the company. There have been plenty of times over the years where I only had one duck and it needed a buddy, so off to the coop to grab a chick. The chick always ended up thinking it was a duck and would end up in the water with the duck, lol. I'm sure you will have a blast. And good for you for finding a way to keep chickens even though you can't have them outside very much. They do get very spoiled inside and I know for a fact that they will do wonderful. Have a great time! Good luck with the naming. My boy's name is Ambrosia, lol. The woman I got him from thought that he was a she. So, Ambrosia it is! [​IMG]

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    She was born August 31st which makes her about a month old. The lady told me she was a hen. Some of the other frizzles I seen in her truck had more distinct combs that were darker in color. I hope to god she is female! I can't have a rooster where I live!

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    And as far as Quacker and her getting along I'm still testing the waters. Quacker is an imprinted muscovy hen. The imprinting took away a lot of her social skills. I'd love for them to be able to live together in Quacker's coop! There is more than enough room, too. I didn't know ducks and chickens can be close. I'll have to work hard to get them to bond. The baby is used to ducks because the farmer I got her from had a few. I'm deffinately going to work with both of them to like each other.

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    She is precious! I had one a long time ago and I was crazy for her. You should give her a glam kind of name like Audrey Hepburn or the character from Breakfast at Tiffanies - Holly Golightly or something like that!

Enjoy her - If she were a roo her comb and waddles would be very noticable and red at 1 month so, I think you can safely say it is a fine pullet.

Caroline

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

She is soooo adorable!!! [​IMG] I give you a lot of credit, to have house birds, as I had to do that a while back myself. What we won't do for our babies, right? Let us know how the training goes, I bet she's going to do fabulous too! Have fun!! [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a cutie! I wish I had some curly birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by