The start of our new chicken coop and run!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jphendrix, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jphendrix

jphendrix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    We are building a new coop, and using old wood when we can! My husband said he didn't want to just throw something together, so we used new 4 x 4 's for the corners, used wood for the rest of the frame, and bought 2 x 4 's and tin for the roof! We bought a bunch used chain link fence for the run from someone down the street, and there is also a gate! I can't wait to get finished! I am taking pictures along and along so that we can see the progression! Here are a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Nice!! Pretty much how I made our coops! 4x4 construction is fast and strong!

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    OK, now I feel badly about teasing my husband for overbuilding our coop. 4x4s?! Is he using hurricane straps, too? :)

4. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    LOL! He said he wants it to be strong and look good! I was just gonna throw something together, but when my husband does something hes gotta overdo it, but it will look great after its done, and he wants to paint it red! It will be 8 ft x 10ft, with an attached run, not sure about the run size yet though! And the 4 x 4 's are 2 ft in the ground too.

debid- it wouldn't surprise me! LOL!

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine loves to overbuild and complain all the while about how expensive our eggs are. It makes me laugh. But, we had a full-grown tree snap and land on the "shed" party hut he'd built and, not kidding, it shifted the roof down 1" and other than crumples in the sheetrock, you'd never know it happened.

6. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    LOL! Mine is the same way. Hes been complaining about the cost, and I told him that if he would try to find some used wood it would be alot cheaper, so he says, I hate asking people stuff like that. I told him that the worst they could do is say no. But I was able to find some wood from a family friend that were going to use for the walls. Thank goodness it didn't do more than that. I guess over building pays off sometimes!!!

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    My husband used 4 x 4 and hurricane straps on our chicken coop. Of course we live in Florida so we may need them.

8. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    I'm in southeast Georgia, not to far from you! And the winds do get bad here sometimes with hurricanes coming through! Our babies should be good and protected!!!!

9. jphendrix

Nov 11, 2012
    Waycross, Georgia
    Here is a pic of what we got accomplished today in spite of the rain! We got the back wall up, and added a window, we are goining to put fence over the window so when we open in nothing can get in or out![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It's coming right along! Going to be a super coop! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by