1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The State Fair is amazing! ( SC )

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by catdaddy66, Oct 24, 2010.

1. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Just went to our SC state fair for the first time as a chicken owner. There were some super gorgeous birds of bantam and full size! The chickens ranged from common egg layers like RIR and BR to buff orpingtons, cochins and wyandottes. There were also Aseels, Polish Crested, Silkies, and Seabrights. The colors were awesome, especially the silver and gold laced markings!! Perhaps the most striking fowl of all were the pheasants! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The colors looked as striking as tropical birds (parrots, toucans, etc.). We also came out with a stray egg. A lone brown egg was in an empty cage and begged to be cared for! No developing embry was found on candeling so this one wasn't fertilized.

Has anyone gone and been amazed at what the fair has to offer? Let us know by sharing pics and stories!! Thanks

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The egg might be fertile still, she just hasn't been brooding it is why it wouldn't be developed. You should put the Mystery Egg in the Incubator!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. ollieboo

ollieboo New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    I went to our S.C. State Fair also as a new chicken owner. Had always heard you could purchase poultry from there. I didn't find that so and was disappointed. Was given the number for someone in Cottageville raising Golden Laced Polish (had one at the fair that I liked) but could not connect with the people. Does anyone know of someone raising Golden Laced Polish for sale in South Carolina?

4. Where? Columbia?

[​IMG]
    Lisa

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Yes, that would have been in Columbia.

And the egg probably isn't fertile because they did not want another chicken in the same pen with her for a few weeks so her feathers would look really nice. But if it were fertile you would not be able to tell with a practiced eye for about 5-7 days, depending on your experience and light. At 10 days you could tell a lot more and day 12 is always my favorite day to see the black spot swimming around.

6. Bejammie

Bejammie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    I wanted to go this year but the poultry is canceled due to avian flu.

7. Silseb

Silseb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Going next week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by