The store clerk *said* they were Australorps, but...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickundercover, Mar 19, 2012.

1. chickundercover

chickundercover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Utah
    My "Australorps" feathers are coming in with white penciling. The IFA near me was having some issues with signs on the cages being mixed up, so Im pretty certain that's what happened. So what breed did I really get? She's the black one in the middle.[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for helping me out! Now here's to just hoping that my mystery chicks arent roos as well!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Maybe a barred rock?

I'm not good with either breed so if someone comes along and says something different, believe them instead of me.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Yes, looks like a Barred Plymouth Rock. Looks like a pullet based on the dark coloring.

4. Hezz

Hezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Poconos, Pennsylvania
    Well, it's definately not an aussie, I can tell you that much. Aussie's are black and have dark legs with pinkish coloring on the bottoms of their feet. The white on it's head, along with the white barring starting on the wings is pointing me toward a Barred Rock too. I also agree that it looks like a pullet.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I hate to be the one to say this, but barred rock pullets don't really get that clear barring until later in their development. All the ones I have that have this much definition to their barring and bright white on the feathers are cockerels. [​IMG]

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    What are the other chicks? I am guessing the yellow ones are Buff Orpingtons? What are the grey ones?

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah

Again, note that I've never had barred rocks, but from what I've seen, the cockerels are usually more white with black, and the pullets are more black with white.

8. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    This is true - but this chick isn't even close to being feathered out. The comb is also rather pronounced for a very young chick (my BR boys just magically started growing their combs today!).

Cannot see the legs on this chick - are they yellow or dark on the front? Pullet is indicated by a dark wash down the leg, I see a lot of white in the shoulder/back feathers starting to come in... peruse pictures of barred rock chicks in this forum to compare.

9. chickundercover

chickundercover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Utah
    Wow, Thanks guys! I looked at a lot of the others on the forum and It does look like a plymoth. BlazeJester- They actually do have a dark wash on their legs, but they act very cockrel-ish... I'll just have to wait and see.
    Bullitt- You're right, the yellow ones are buffs, the grey colored ones are Blue Cochins. They're my chicken math babies. I went in wanting four, and after I saw those fuzz balls, walked out with six total. Go figure.

10. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] That chick looks exactly like my Black Sexlink chicks and mine are little boys! I know this because the female Black Sexlinks are solid black. Dominique chicks also look just like your chick. The only way I can tell a Dom from a Sexlink or Barred rock is by the comb. Doms have a rosecomb andSexlinks and Barreds have single, large typical comb. I would ask what breeds they had and then you can eliminate what they can't be.[​IMG]This is a picture of one of my Black SexLink cockerels. This was 20days ago. They have even more white on them now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by