The store I bought my 2 week old chicks from feeds them layer feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shainamom, May 15, 2009.

1. shainamom

shainamom New Egg

May 12, 2009
    I did a quick search on here and someone said it can cause deformaties? Is this true. When I asked the guy at the store he said the chicks have been on layer feed since day one. They are going on 3 weeks and look/act fine. Should I be worried about it?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The reason not to feed them layer feed is that it has a high quantity of calcium in it. Hens' bodies use it to create eggs while chicks and roosters must pass it via the kidneys. That causes a strain on their bodies and can cause kidney problems in the long term. Put them on medicated chick feed and save the layer feed for later.

And remember: just because the person in the feed store says so doesn't make it OK or true.

3. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Yes, very true...they may look fine now but could have troubles later. The people at the store may not have any experience with chickens and just feed whatever they have. Get chick feed, they don't need calcium until they are about 4-6 months old depending on when your breeds start to lay.

4. shainamom

shainamom New Egg

May 12, 2009
    Ok I will go get them chick starter tomorrow. Do you think the 3 weeks they were on layer feed will hurt them later on?

5. shainamom

shainamom New Egg

May 12, 2009
    bump...does anyone know if they will have problems later on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by