The story of 14 amazing chickens rescued from abusive homes.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Sep 16, 2011.

1. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    This year I had the pleasure of personally rescuing and adopting 14 chickens and creating a flock of wonderful birds that I wish to share with you. I am not bragging or looking for praise I am only trying to pass on the joy that comes with providing a better life for animals that are being abused. We all can change the life of an animal and give it the love it deserves. Please feel free to post your rescues and they're stories!

These hens we're living in a 12 by 12 pen with around 20 other large breed chickens with no water on a 90 degree day. I paid the lady eight dollars per hen just to take them home with me and help give them a better life. They are very good layers and sweet girls. I am pretty sure they are all Red-Sex Links so that's what I call them.

She is going through some over breeding issues as well as some picking in this picture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This lovley gentelman is called Highmie. He was comfinscated from an illegal cock-fight abd was nearly dead when I took him home with me. He is now my favorite Rooster and is part of a friends breeding line of show quality AGF. He is a Red-Quill/Hatch cross.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rooster that gives me more trouble than any other, Big Ben. He is a New Hampshire Rooster who weighs nearly 14 lbs. He was attacked by dogs and I found him in a ditch on the roadside. His face was so scabbed over he could not see and he refused to walk for almost two weeks. I hand fed him until he got well enough to go outside. Until then he lived in the house in a wire cage on a goose down pillow.

[​IMG]

The Easter Egg Rooster called Buster. He is the Rooster I bred from this year and I plan on raising many more EE's in the coming years. I brought home two blue eggs that I found in the nieghbors dogs mouth (there are no EE's around so I have no idea) I out them in the incubator and he hatched, I gave him to a home and later discovered him in a small pen with four hens and living on whole corn. He was seven months old and weiged only 25 ozs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bantams. These all came from over crowding situations and are now free-ranged on my two acres and are quite happy. three hens went broody this year and one still has a chick. I love them but they are QUITE noisy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are not rescues but I love them too!

The Children of the EE and the sex-link hens:

[​IMG]

My Silver Phoneix chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And JUST CAUSE I LOVE THEM: My White Chinese Goose "Goosie" and My breed unknown Duck "Oliver"

[​IMG]

Hope that they have inspired you like they have me!

Tim in KY

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Thank you so much for sharing the story and the photos!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    What gorgeous birds!
    Good for you on taking them in!

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    That's great that you gave these guys a good home! [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It's so nice to find out that these chickens now have proper food/water/and shelter! [​IMG] LOVE the little fella in the 2nd bantam photo!!

6. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:He is the cutest thing EVER!! [​IMG]

Glad all these chickens found a happy, loving home. You done good!!![​IMG]

7. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Thanks for sharing! So glad you took them in!

8. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:lovely birds! good for u for rescueing them (your duck looks like a swedish/buff cross)

9. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Thank you all for your kind words. I wanted to spread a little positivity to this site to help us all remember the true reason we are members of BYC. We love these animals and we want to help others learn and learn ourselves how to provide a safe, happy and long life for our birds, weather they are pets or livestock, we want what's best for them.

God Bless you all and I look forward to seeing your birds as well!

From a little holler in Kentucky.....

Tim

10. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Thank you for rescuing those poor babies and giving them a better home! [​IMG] Poor birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by