The Story of a Broody LEGHORN!

I had a bantam silkie go broody so we let her sit on 2 eggs and she hatched both chicks... the chicks had gotten old enough that we put them in a pen in the run with their momma and now another hen is broody and we are letting her sit on one 🤦🏻‍♀️ Twice a day I actually shut the others out of the run and get her up and take her to the food and water and get her out of her trance and she eats, drinks, takes giant stinky poops and waddles her little self back into her egg. So adorable. Maybe try getting her up. We did the same thing with the silkie.

Not sure if you know now or not, but to avoid another oops fertility check like number 3, you can use a phone flash light real quick on any eggs medium brown or lighter real easy to see development
Hey there I wasn't actually doing the fertility check I didn't want her sitting on they didn't all fit under so as I was I decided to look in them anyway I didn't think anything would be developing after 3 days but to my amazement the third one was developing so I guess the two that I took out that were on the outside rim weren't warm enough no, the ones she has left it just right I think LOL we shall see I can't believe I haven't have a Broody hen in 20 years!!!!!!

update: I noticed this morning that there was many pellets missing so she must have ate hopefully it wasn't a mouse in the middle of the night.

Hi I have a leghorn hen (the one in my avatar) I just discovered a clutch of 11 of her eggs if I let her keep laying will she go broody?

Probably not.
Most leghorns will lay eggs, and more eggs, and more eggs, and never go broody.
The one in this thread is unusual.

Back
Top Bottom