The Story of Duck :)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AJ666, Aug 25, 2010.

1. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Each year, my dad orders about 30 cornish cross chicks from a near by feed store. Last year, along with the ones from the feed store, he accidentally ordered 30 more from a co-op. Oops. So now we were gonna have 60 hungry chickens on our hands.
    I went with my dad to pick up the co-op chicks. On the ride home I opened the box to see if all of them were alive. I immediately noticed a difference in one chick. It was taller than the others, it had a longer neck, and it had a light brown head with what appeared to be a large wart on top of it. In a way, she reminded me of a duckling! I made a mother hen sound, and she scrambled to get towards the sound, stepping on the others backs in the process. I knew she was special immediately, we just had no idea what she was!
    She made a home with the meat birds, and we soon learned that there was alot of personality differences between the two species too. This "duckling" did not eat nearly as much. In fact, she liked grass! And she was growing much much slower than the cornish crosses. They soon surpassed her, and she stayed the same size for a long time. We let her loose outside one day and she nearly exploded with happiness! She roamed all around, eating everything that didnt eat her first, and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. My dad saw her and a look of wonder crossed his face "Thats a turkey!" he said. I looked up pictures of baby turkeys and it was like looking at duck (I called her Duck, because of her appearence) So it was confirmed. We had a domestic turkey on our hands.
    I took her outside every day. She started to follow me around. I was her mommy. One day I set her down, ran across the lawn, and turkey hen called the best I could. She realized she was alone, and went absalutely crazy! She stumbled towards the sound, crying and crying all the way! The noise she was making could have woken the dead! And then she saw me. A noise of happiness and relief came out of her. And she was in my lap. It was so cute, I cried.
    My dad and I later had a talkHe wanted to know if I was going to be able to eat her come Thanksgiving. I said yes, not knowing just how attached to this bird I would become.

For most of the Summer, Duck was alone. But she didnt mind, she had me and my brother for company. I think she began to think she was a person. Or we were turkeys.
    At the end of July, me and my family went on a week long vacation to california. It killed me to be away from home but I survived. Amd Duck was in the hands of our responsible neighbors. When we got back, we took in another bird! My neighbors had a domonique rooster named Big Guy that they didnt want anymore. The two birds were instant friends.
    The terrible twosome spent their days eating, dust-bathing, and resting in the cool shade. By this time, Duck needed alot of resting. Her weight was becoming alot to lug around. They dust bathed in the sandbox, and it was funner to watch than cartoons. Duck made the cutest little happy noises ever. One time when i was gone, she went down to the vegtable garden to dust bathe, and she came back a dark brown color from the dirt. My dad got a great video of a normally white turkey strutting up the hill looking like a wild turkey because of all the dirt. I wish I could post videos on here...
    At night the two birds would roost, either on the porch railing or the clothes line. They were quite a pain to get down, and they left ALOT of poop on the porch. Eventually, Big Guy learned to roost in the coop where he was suppose dto, but Duck did not for a long time. She firmly believed she was doing the right thing. She was not as smart as Big Guy.
    Duck was not popular with the rest of my family. She pecked my brother in the eye, ate my moms tomatoes, and she was constantly trying to go up on the front porch, leaving huge blobs of poop that I had to clean up. Everyone thought that she was ugly but me. I thought she was adorable and beautiful. .
    She was my whole life that summer. But like all good things, it all came to an end.
    September came, and so did school. We had a decision to make. My dad and brother wanted to butcher her and make her our thanksgiving dinner. I disagreed. I knew I could never do that. Surprisingly, my mom agreed with me. She thought that it would be like eating my dog. She was too much of a pet. I fit wa smy decision, I would have kept her until she died, but I was overruled of course. The only other option was to give her to the people who we got Big Guy from. Little did I know how hard that would be.

It was a Wednesday that she left. I had to help catch her and load her into the truck. Her and Big Guy were transported in our old dog kennell. I out her in, and she was so scared and confused. She wanted out. I turned away so that my family wouldnt see me cry. My dad asked if I wanted to go with, and I couldnt say no. I rode in back with her. We got there and unloaded them. My dad talked to the guy for a while. They have a girl my age who I am good friends with. She gave me a long hug when I left. I rode home in the back. I didnt stop crying for a looong time.
    TYhe next day, I just couldnt believe she was actually gone. I never believed the day would come when she was no longer in my life. But it did. My eyes were swollen. People kept staring while I was in school. My friend kindly told me that I looked horrible.
    I sent my mom and email begging her to let me take her back. She said no, though she admitted she seriously considered it. That saturday I told my dad I was going for a bike ride. I went to my neighbors. Only the man was home. I asked if I could visit Duck. He looked at me funny, but he said ok. I went to the backyard, and there she was, pacing along the fence of the chicken run. All the other chickens were outside. I ran in, scooped her up, and sat down. I talked to her for a long time. I told her I would be back to get her soon.
    That was the day she died.
    I was too late.
    I regret it to this day. I regret not fighting harder for her. I regret not speaking up. She wa smy whole life for one summer. She brought a smile to my frowning face every day. She was a big bright spot in my dreary life. She mad emy lazy, boring summer days not boring. I was her mommy, and I always will be.
    I like to think that she is a better place now. I hope she forgives me for not keeping my promise. Either way, I know she is probably better off. I hope and pray that I will see her again someday. I know that god placed a turkey in a box full of chickens for a reason.

Now, I have seven chickens, and they make me feel better. I was originally going to get four, but we came home with seven. My mother was not happy. She wondered why we got so many. I didnt have an answer then, but I do now.

You see, Duck left some pretty big shoes to fill. Thats why it takes seven.

R.I.P Duck the turkey who was supposed to be a chicken. I love you forever and always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWWW so sorry. How did she die?

3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    [​IMG] Will somebody please pass the kleenex? [​IMG] So sorry.

4. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    Quote:She was their dinner at Thanksgiving. Thats how she died [​IMG]

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Oh, how horrible.................. I am very sorry. You gave her a good life and lots of love. That's more than most turkeys get.... [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have to say That's the saddest story I have ever heard in my whole life! [​IMG]
    I am so so so so sorry! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by