The Story of Marty the FBCM

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AHappychick, Jan 11, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    A lot of people have commented to me that my fbcm roo did not look very nice and was scrawny. I admit my pics of him were bad but there was a reason for it and today having taken new pics and feeling so good about him I finally gave my fbcm roo a name and want to share his full story. [​IMG]

Marty (that's his new name) arrived from a well known breeder and the beginning of his life was like all the others in the brooder. He and one other roo quickly became my favorites and they were both sweet and gentle unlike some of the other roos. As they all started to get their mature colors and crow I was happy that he and his buddy were the nicest in my group. He had good coloring and a nice comb, unfortunately his buddy had better coloring but a comb that was already looking 2 big. I put the 2 of them in a new home along with the Ameraucana cockerels I was keeping and sold or ate the rest.

After all the other boys were gone Marty became lame. To this day I honestly do not know if it was Mareks or an injury. One day he was limping and the next he could no longer walk on one leg. since he had swelling in the leg I assumed it was an injury and made him a sling hoping it was an injury and not Mareks. His buddy took care of him the whole time and for a long time he did not improve and I had resolved myself to culling him but at the time had decided to wait a few more days. Well before I culled him he started to finally improve, I had been giving him all sorts of good food and organic treatments as well as living in the sling so I guess it finally started working. Today I do not think it was Mareks as I have dealt with it before and I think maybe it was a foot injury.

Soon Marty went from the sling to being in a brace I had made with a samsplint and got to stay in a box with his friend always by his side. By this point he was able to stand up on his knees a bit. Here are some pics I have of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

by this time it had been at least a month and it took another month before Marty could walk well again and even then he had a limp.

Eventually I sold off his friend with a few pullets to a BYC member where they are having a great life and Marty went to live with the girls. no matter how much I fed him he had never gained good weight while injured and was very thin. So every night for a while I would bring him in to let him eat with out the desire to share with his ladies as he was always a gentleman with them. He would sleep in the garage and then back out in the day with the girls.

It was during this time that I took the pic I had been using.

[​IMG]

he looked rather ratty and it was hard to get a better pic. Then for a while he had a super scraggly tail and I did not want to take any full body pics lol

Well today he must weigh at least twice as much and is a big strong boy and sire to all of my chicks. I am very proud of him.

Although I often say I am going to cull a bird when injured severely I have a very hard time doing it and can tell you from experience that if you want to put in the time and devotion that even some of the worst cases can come through with great recovery.

Here is Marty today he is still gentle with me and my ds and with all of his hens. :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(apparently he smells nice too [​IMG] just as the Ameraucana)

[​IMG]

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Marty turned out georgous!! A happy ending for all. I too have a hard time culling, trying to give them as many chances as possible. I have no problem butchering. ( I have to think of it that way to go through with it!)

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yep its amazing to me how bad he looked then compared to now but I knew he had the right stuff [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh My! What a handsome fellow! I'm always so pleased to hear about folks who will give a sick or injured chicken a second, sometimes even a third or fourth chance at a good life.

LizzyBeth was my only special needs child. Some who have been here awhile may remember her too. She came to me with brain damage caused by a terrible little boy slamming her down into the sales bin she was in at the feed store. I have no idea why the feed store didn't cull her themselves, nor how she ended up coming home with my DH, other than he let the store staff pick out three BR chicks to purchase as a surprise to me......

anyway...long story short, LizzyBeth was worth every ounce of concern, inconvenience, care and hassle. She suffered frequently from seizures and couldn't run in a straight line to save her life. But she was still one of my favorites. She also helped me to realize just how special Gimpy Girl was, though I already knew she was a very special girl in her own right.

Gimpy, wonderful loving girl that she was, took Lizzy under her wing and kept watch over her night and day. Heaven help any of the other girls who thought they could pick on Lizzy with Gimpy around. Gimpy would lay into anyone who so much as even looked cross-eyed at Lizzy!

I so wish she were still with us today, but a hawk got her in her 10th month. [​IMG]

Thanks for taking the extra time and effort AHappyChick. You've proven once again that all chickies are worth another chance! Aren't you glad now that you didn't cull him? [​IMG]

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:oh what a sweet story I am sorry you lost her [​IMG] . I love seeing chicks bond like that. It always amazes me how they decide whether they like each other or not and who they will be friends with, which is quiet different then their pecking order.

yes i am so glad I did not cull!

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What a beautiful roo! And he doesn't even mind getting a butt sniff, LOL

7. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    He is absolutely gorgeous and what a wonderful story. You gave him some extra care and what a beauty he is now!! Thanks for sharing!

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    awww thanks [​IMG]

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    [​IMG] to you for your loving care of him....Just beautiful ...he certainly is and just goes to show we need to be careful about estimating the potential of our flocks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by