The Story of me sneaking chickens into college

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
Well here is my story or sneaking chickens into college. The story starts out with me going into my sophmore year of college. Finally moving out of the dorms and into my own apartment near school. I live in Virginia and go to school up into Cleveland, Ohio. A very, very different place from my cozzy rural home down south. At school I am in the middle of the city and there is no possible way for me to have my chickens with me or so I thought. While I am at school I usually browse Craigslist... A LOT. (Much to my mothers dread haha). Before I had left I made a deal with a lady in Ohio to purchase 5 show quality black silkies. I arranged it perfectly so when my parents came up to visit they would go to her farm with me, visit and take them back to Virginia. Well, mother nature had other ideas... The night before they were going to come up a huge storm hit and they couldn't make it up. I contacted the lady and told her I would send a holding fee for the trouble. Soon after I found out my parents wouldn't be up for another month and 3 of the silkies got the sniffles! She contacted me and told me she wasn't planning on having them so long and needed the space for new babies and she didn't want to infect them. What to do? Well I thankfully had my grandmother who lived in Ohio and I could keep them there. So I drove out picked 3 up and brought them to my apartment. 1 pullet and 2 cockrels. I was afraid they would make noise since 2 were roosters but they were quiet sweet little angels! I also got to surprise my roommate with them :p. We were both entertained by these fluffy, exotic things running around the apartment for a few days. We even told a few friends and they didn't believe it til they saw it! After a few days I took them to my grandmothers and got another call saying I needed to pick up the other two. I went out the next day picked up the two pullets I so dearly wanted to find two spunky, bad manored cockcrels. I decided I would eventually win them over and took them home. They were quiet except for the big bearded fellow who liked to be sweet get pet then bite you when you least expected it! It was 11:00 p.m. I tucked the boys away and headed to my boyfriends to watch tv while my roommate stayed behind and did homework. After a few episodes I get a call at 2:00 a.m. with a frantic roommate saying, "They won't shut up!!" With a cockcrel crowing in the background barely leaving time in between to breathe! I raced to my car and got there in 10 minutes rather than 20 and stealthly crept into the building and quickly entered my apartment. There he is crowing at the dead of night! I don't know how but I convinced him to shut up before I threw him in a dinner pot. The whole time my roommate at the door waiting for someone to knock and ask what all that noise is. We collected them up and snuck out of the apartment chickens in hand praying not to run into someone and ask, "what is that?!". I already had a story of how it's an exotic african parrot which is critically endangered in a breeding program blah blah blah. I was confident that rediculous story could easily fool any city slicker who just thought a chicken was a simple white bird. I finally got them in the car and raced over to my boy friends house chickens in hand and snuck them into his place. They thankfully were quiet until my brilliant boyfriend thought it to be funny to crow at them which in turn started the crowing yet again... finally at 5 in the morning all was settled and they were asleep. That's my little story of sneaking a chickens into a college apartment. Hopefully it made you chuckle a little bit and think what a loon! but come on you know you would have tried it if you knew you wouldn't have gotten caught ;)

Here's one of the noisy culprits safe in Virginia

OMG that is so funny. I can totally picture it and had to laugh. Are you attending CSU? I am east of Cleveland and would have been happy to 'hold' them over for you. You might never have gotten them back though.
droolin.gif

I'm glad everyone has found it funny :p.
I actually attend Cleveland Institute of Art but reguarly visit CSU. Those little rascals would have kept you up all night! haha For some reason the one guy decided if he heard any kind of movement he needed to crow for at least 10 minutes. I swear this silkie crowed louder than some of my standard breeds!

Back
Top Bottom