The story of my big wild African "village chicken"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thespeedyz, Jan 1, 2013.

1. thespeedyz

thespeedyz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2012
    Zambia, Africa!
    SO my wife's walking in the street here in Zambia Africa when she sees this really big rooster..... so I go meet the owner who just happens to be selling chickens at that time and he sells it to me for K40,000 ($8) and I bring it home --- just one problem, the thing is LOUD!!!! But it's heavy (2.5KG) so after enduring for some months with it... sometimes having to lock it up when I have guests over, so it doesn't disturb them at 3am in the mornings.... I crossed it with this other really strong black hen and it produced this nice looking guy... he's not fully grin yet but is 2.2KG, not as loud, and alot tamer, since I incubated it and raised it in a cage while it was a chick. I'm making him the new #1 progenitor for the flock!

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very attractive bird.

3. thespeedyz

Nov 14, 2012
    Zambia, Africa!
    Thank you, I think he will produce good offspring, I'm also keen to see what will come from my little experiment, I crossed the father of this one with a RI red, and it is now laying, crossed back with its wild African village brother (above)........pictures coming soon!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Nice looking rooster! How tall is it and what color eggs do females make?

5. thespeedyz

Nov 14, 2012
    Zambia, Africa!
    I'd have to measure how tall - eggs are pale brown. Meat quite tough!

6. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Wow an African chicken

7. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    Does Africa have unique cycens?

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love his comb!

9. thespeedyz

Nov 14, 2012
    Zambia, Africa!
    There are a whole spectrum of colors, black, white, grey, brown, speckled, ones with funny hats, bald heads, etc etc.. I think most are very mixed because I could breed 2 black ones & get white offspring! I believe most of the population in Southern Africa derived from India/ Southeast Asia, genetically... I'm in Northern Zambia, near the Congo border (which I have crossed & found the chickens look not different at all) & presumably mine have the same origin.
    We buy them from mostly villagers standing on the side of the road in the country side. But you have to be careful because some of them are being sold 'cos they're sick..... Pictures soon......

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  10. wow that is a very pretty chicken/rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by