THE STORY OF SOOTY THE ROOSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kori, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Kori

Kori Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    My rooster was just a chick then and a perfectly healthy one at that!My 2 year old nephew Rylan was over and our brooder door is short enough for him to reach and he opened it when no one was looking,and went inside and grabbed the nearest chicken,played with him for a bit than put him "up" in a jar,closed the door to the brooder,and went on his merry little way,now,the soon-to-be-Sooty was to little to climb out of the jar,(this was happening during the Texas heat wave)and could not get to food and water(i was inside,enjoying air conditioning,my step dad and mom working on the green house outside)later on in the day my step dad went to check for eggs and found soon-to-be-Sooty stuck in the jar,on the verge of death,and he brought him inside and gave him to me saying,"Rylan(my nephew) stuck him in a jar".Of course I took soon-to-be-Sooty and brought him to my room,made a little nest for him from a small pillow and a shoe box,(with my sister following)and laid him down.Soon I came back with a little dish of water and woke him up to drink,but he wouldn't drink so I gently pushed his beak under water just enough so his nostrils were under,then I let go and he drank! i kept that up for 1 day until he started eating and soiled his "nest".Since he had started pooping and eating i put him back in the broody pen with the others and from then on he was as healthy as a horse!Now he's got all of our hens and he won't even let us pick them up anymore!(I called him Sooty because as a chick he looked like he had soot on his feathers.)

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Awwww that's cute. [​IMG]

3. countrygirl36

countrygirl36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    aw thats s cute!!!

4. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    thank you!! i love him very much!!!!![​IMG]by the way hes a daddy now!!!!!!!!!we just hatched a new batch,sired by HIM!!!!!!

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Somebody wants to see a photo of Mr. Sooty!

[​IMG]

6. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas

[​IMG]pretty chicken,whats her name?

7. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Mrs. Sooty, if she had her way! :D

8. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I call her Leggs-the pantyhose brand from about 900,000,000 years ago. They used to sell this particular brand of pantyhose in giant plastic eggs.

10. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    why is it roosters always seem to have big chests?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by