The straggler

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Goose and Fig, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    So I have 8 toulouse- almost 2 months old. They are now free ranging during the day and we are enjoying the heck out of them. There is one of them however- I swear it the same one- that always gets left behind. She'll be all alone caught in the chicken coop or wandering the woods crying until she can find the flock again. Is this normal? I have to"rescue" her several times a day and take her back to the group. It's cute- but it can get kind of annoying [​IMG]

2. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    I wonder if she is deaf or blind... jen

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- usually they're all together. They've been coming in really good at bedtime, all of them have healthy appetites, but this one is just kind of a scatterbrain. I know she can see- because once she spots the other she's off running for them. It's funny and sad at the same time how upset they get when they're seperated. I never thought she may be deaf- maybe that's why she doesn't notice the others have left right away.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I currently have 6 calico poults and the one always gets left behind. He is blind in his right eye though. [​IMG]

5. Kim65

Kim65 Songster

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    There was a recent thread about a person who had two goslings, and only one followed her or came to her. The one that didn't turned out to be blind [​IMG]

I'm going to guess yours has some sort of impairment that way, either some vision problems or hearing. Geese don't mess around and stay together unless something is "wrong". Poor little gal, but she sounds healthy and happy. Geese get smarter the older they get, so hopefully she'll continue to adapt and cope [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by