The strange places broody hens pick!

minihorse927

Whipper snapper
11 Years
Nov 3, 2010
so my lovely Bantam broody hen decided that the trash can in my horse barn was her best place to sit. She was missing for almost 2 weeks and somehow I managed to overlook her every time until the other day. Candled her eggs and they were no good so now she has 11 long tail eggs that were shipped. Excited to see how it goes.

she originally made her nest on a big mat of twine but she kicked a bunch of her original eggs out of the nest and they fell down the trash can. I made some changes and put a feed bag underneath her and filled it with hay. This way she couldn't kick the eggs out of the nest on accident.

Congrats on your broody! My neighbor had a hen who had a nest on the seat of a riding mower. Luckily they had other mowers they could use.

I bet that was one nasty seat after the chicks hatched! Lol

This hen is a bantam mixed with a ameracauna I'm guessing. Mt bfs mom had a hen hatch a bunch of chicks out and she gave me several of them. Her bantams have a lot of old English game in them and they are sitting fools. They lay a half dozen eggs and disappear all the time only to appear with tons of chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom