The strangest red sex-link ever

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Red&Yellow, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    We got this pullet recently with 2 Pro Reds, 1 hatchery RIR, 1 BSL, and 1 hatchery New Hampshire.
    I think she is a red sex-link, but I've never seen one quite like this. I'd just like for some verification/opinions...And to show her off [​IMG] She's my favorite - her name is Lucy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    My neighbor got 18 Cinnamon Queen (Red Sex-Link) hens last year and one of them was colored like this. They're both really pretty! [​IMG]

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Nice patterning. I think she's a sex-link as well.

Had a black sex-link some years ago. One of the first I'd ever had. Had almost no gold/red feathers on her at all. Except for the fact that she looked exactly like her sisters, but for those missing feathers I wouldn't have believed she was a sex-link either.

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    She looks very similar to my Gold Comet, Charity?

5. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i think it depends on how she was crossed-maybe cinnamon queen and very pretty.
    this is from feathersite-
    Red Sex-Links are the result of various crosses. White Rocks with the silver factor (the dominant white gene would produce all white offspring) are crossed with a New Hampshire male to produce the Golden Comet. Silver Laced Wyandotte crossed with New Hampshire gives the Cinnamon Queen. Two other crosses are obtained with Rhode Island White x Rhode Island Red, and Delaware x Production Red. These two crosses are simply called Red Sex-Links. Males hatch out white and, depending on the cross, feather out to pure white or with some black feathering. Females hatch out buff or red also depending on cross, and they feather out in one of three ways.

Buff with white or tinted undercolor (such as Golden Comet, Rhode Island Red x Rhode Island White)
    Red with White or tinted undercolor (Cinnamon Queen)
    Red with Red undercolor (Delaware x Production Red) (In this color pattern it is almost impossible to distinguish daughters' color from father's color.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  6. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:Sorry, but Feathersite's sex-link page is mostly wrong. [​IMG] I believed it at first too, but RAREROO set me straight on a lot of wrong things I learned from that page. For example, when used for making sex-links SLWs will always make black-tailed pullets, so there's no way that Cackle's Cinnamon Queens are NHR x SLW. White Rocks vary quite a bit in their genetic makeup, many won't make sex-links, some will make black-tailed sex-link pullets, and some will make white-tailed sex-link pullets. Hatchery's each have their own recipe for their various Red Sex-Links and they usually won't truthfully tell you what it is. But if you get white-tailed Red Sex-Links from a hatchery, it's pretty safe to assume that they're Production Red x Rhode Island White or White Rock. [​IMG]

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    she might be "sun bleached" [​IMG]

8. I like your chicken. I have had red sl in the past and I think they are great. They truly are money, when it comes to laying. Although slightly different looking from my hatchery links from last year, I say for a certainty that yours is a red sl. Great looking bird!

9. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:i was just implying the many ways to get a red sex-link;).we will never know for sure what she is being from a hatchery.

red&yellow-Lucy is very pretty.it would be nice to know what was used so we could make more just like her.[​IMG]

10. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:My neighbor got 18 Cinn. Queen hens from Cackle, and there was actually a good deal of color variation between them. One of them was colored like Red&yellow's hen with the dark neck feathers and lighter colored body. Many of them were the traditional RSL color, others were traditional but a light orange, one of them was dark red quickly fading to a pure white tail, and one of them was really beautiful... She had a lot of white (way more than I've ever seen in pics of RSL), and her back was pure white except the feather stems were red. [​IMG]
    Yes, she was a hen, LOL. I just so happened to watch her lay an egg. [​IMG]

My point is this was all apparently the same cross of breeds behind all these hens... Or not? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by