The strangest thing you have ever eaten

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
Food is a popular subject on this site... So tell me what is the strangest or most exotic thing you have ever eaten on purpose. Bugs while out on your motorcycle don't count.
tongue.png

I was in Missouri last spring visiting friends. They live in a small town and get together every Saturday night for beer and fried "Hognuts"...yep, that's what they are and I ate them.

gig.gif
How did those hognuts taste? Like chicken?
lau.gif

The most exotic thing I've eaten is fried 'gator. Very chewy. One of my favorite appetizers is fried calimari (squid) but I don't even consider it as strange.

Growing up with a mother who had grown up poor and in the country and nothing went to waste - I never knew what the meat item on our plate might be. But with my mother you didn't dare ask - you just ate it - not sure that falls under "on purpose" but here's the short list:

1. Rooster balls
2. Chitlins
3. Coon
4. Neutria
5. Lamb balls
6. Cow tongue
7. Armadillo
8. Possum
9. Pickled Pigs Feet
10. Road Kill

When I met my husband I forewarned him about eating anything at mom's that he didn't see come out of the grocery package and to beware of stews.
smile.png

Quote:
I wish they had tasted like chicken. They were deep fried so that helped a little. It was kind of a situation where there are about 20 people watching and waiting for my reaction, so it was almost like a dare. Of course I caved and ate them and told everyone they were good...truth be told I drank many a beer chaser and by the time the evening was done I loved everyone and everything. lol

Back
Top Bottom