The strangest thing!

Royd

Songster
10 Years
May 31, 2009
Middleburg, Fl.
About 2 weeks ago, I had one of my RIR hens go missing. There, in the morning; gone, at roost time. Just disappeared. I still haven't found her.

Well, all of the RIR hens stopped egg production, mid August, and started their moult, so I didn't think she had gone broody in some hidden nook of my weedy, junk ridden 3/4 of an acre. I looked everywhere, too.

This afternoon, I see my dog playing with something, in the yard. Something small and yellow...I hollered at her and she drops this baby chick. Obviously, only one or two days old.

I know that none of the pullets have gone broody, because I've been gathering their eggs, regularly, and I also see them in the yard, throughout the day.

I guess the RIR hen could have snuck off to the neighbor's property, but to not see her, at all, in two weeks, is strange.

Quote:
I don't know how common it is, but I can tell you 2 of my recent experiences ....

#1 ... One EE hen sat on her eggs in the Layers coop .... about 45 in here, and one rooster. The rooster kept watch often, and still continues to since she has hatched. Not one other pullet or hen layed an egg in her nest while she was sitting. She is a feisty one, and could surely handle it herself, but he is always near by.

#2 ... A Silkie sitting. Contained in a moderately large dog house. The other Silkies (6) free to range at all times. One rooster never ranged while she sat. He was always near by the dog house.

Last edited:
when i was younger my mom pick out our own chickens when they started laying we would the eggs so , my chicken vanished for along time when she came back she had 15 chicks!!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom