The Stray Rooster...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ProudNewChickenMommy86, Nov 22, 2011.

1. ProudNewChickenMommy86

ProudNewChickenMommy86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    WONDERING IF THERE WERE ANYTHING I COULD DO FOR HIM. HIS REAR HAS BLOOD COMING OUT OF IT FROM A TAIL FEATHER TUBE? HE'S VERY SKITTISH AND WON'T HARDLY LET YOU TOUCH HIM. I SNAPPED A FEW PICS. HE GETS ON MY DARN NERVES BUT I DON'T WANT NOTHIN BAD HAPPENING TO HIM.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP BIG RED?

2. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    The first thing you will want to do is bring him inside and gently towel dry him so you can see more clearly, the extent of his injuries.

3. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Looks like a broken blood feather. Dont know what to put on it though. [​IMG]

4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I know you aren't able to get near him, but maybe in a day or two he will let you touch him. I would wear long sleeves and gardening gloves. I'm not sure anyone here would know the answer to this or not, but I have used a spray antibiotic and pain reliever made for people on the dog. I wonder if you could do something like that for him if it looks necessary. Maybe when it stops raining you can get a better look. Animals have the ability to heal well on their own. From these pics if its just a feather pulled as you said --hopefully he'll recover on his own.
    I am pretty new myself.

5. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    It kinda looks like more than that is going on. What happened to all of his tail feathers? He really needs to be put somewhere dry and quiet so he can heal. If you have a hard time catching him, get a sheet or a towel to throw over him to catch him. Do you have a crate or large box you could put him in?

6. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    That Is Going To Be Easier Said Than Done. He Is A Stray. Have You Seen Those Spurs? He's Not A Happy Boy. I Can Get A Really Good Look Right Now, It's Just One Little Feather Tube That's Bleeding.

7. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:You can't put an antibiotic ointment with pain reliever in it. It is toxic to them to put anything such as neosporine on it. However there are antibiotic ointments you can use. I will find mine and tell you what is in it. Be right back.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  8. ProudNewChickenMommy86

Nov 2, 2011
    Acworth, Ga
    Idk What Happened To His Tail Feathers. He Just Showed Up. Kinda Looks Like He's Molting.

9. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Here is what I have: Walgreen's brand Maximum Strength First Aid Antibiotic Ointment with Bacitracin Zinc/Polymyxin B Sulfate/Neomycin Sulfate.

10. hmmcc123

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:I am still new to the whole "moulting" process but from what I have seen, that doesn't look like moulting. It looks like he has been attacked or excessively feather pecked. That nub you see bleeding appears to be his oil gland. They rub their beak on it and then rub it on their feathers to keep them clean and water resistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by