The Sun has come out but can the chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiegirls2, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    My chicks hatched today... I ordered them from My Pet Chicken. I really want to take them out ASAP... when is an appropriate time to take my chicks outside for a little play time [not to move them into the coop just to play? How old do you suggest?
    :jumpyThanks!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    where are you?

3. Chickiegirls2

Apr 23, 2011
    we are in ct... it is supposed to be in the upper 60's and 70's all of this week...

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would give them a few days before I take them out.......Like maybe a week? But that's just me. I suppose it wouldn't hurt as long as the grass was dry, and it wasn't too windy, and they didn't get much sun....Be careful not to bake them......

[​IMG]

5. Chickiegirls2

Apr 23, 2011
    THANKS!!! That is super helpful hearing another opinion!!!

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I just took my 5 week olds out for the first time yesterday. It was mid-60's here and a very sunny day, it was a little breezy too. They had a ton of fun after they figured out the grass/dirt wasn't evil! After an hour or so I had to bring them in though, they were panting from the heat!

Or maybe they choked on something... They all got a crop full of dirt/grass/the odd seed... It did give them a chance to get out of the increasingly cramped brooder though! Of course, now we're supposed to have heavy rains all week and I don;t want to take them out in that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by