The Supreme Court's Gun Ruling This Week - Not A Debate

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PurpleChicken, Jun 29, 2008.

1. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Disclaimer: This is a subject that is in the hearts of many here. It is
    relevant many ways to our lives. I ask for your individual opinions and
    stress that we cannot start a heated debate here that will be a problem
    for the moderators, who will have their own opinions. Please let's all
    play nice and have a vibrant discussion.

This week the Supreme Court overturned Washington D.C.'s ban on handguns.
    Both sides of the arguement have valid points and both sides also have their
    fanatics, the ones who get the most air time.

Do you believe the second ammendment "Absolutely" guarantees the right to own
    a handgun and if no do you think it guarantees the right to own a rifle?

I believe the "intent" of the 2nd Ammendment was to ensure Americans were
    well armed in case of invasion, the overthrow of our existing government, or
    the need to call upon local militias, already armed. I do not believe it has
    anything to do with the right of individuals to carry a gun that can fit in your
    pocket and fire 17 shots in under 5 seconds.

Almost all our founding fathers supported a small national government, something
    we don't have today.

With that said I do support gun rights and a person's right to defend themselves.
    I just don't feel the 2nd Ammend applies to handguns but I do support our right
    to own them for self defense and protecting our homes and families.

Let's give this thread a shot. Just please conform to the rules of BYC.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am an NRA member. I have a permit to conceal carry. I carry a .45 Ruger. I guess you can tell I am pro 2nd Amendment and that it is my individual right.

The thing most people don't get - it is the bad people who will always have a gun. Do you really think DC is or has been gunless on their streets? The bad guys will always find a way to have guns and they will always use them.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I couldn't agree more. Criminals will always find a way to get guns. There are already
    millions of them out there. That is one of the strongest arguements I can see for
    an individual to be allowed to carry a handgun.

You never cease to amaze me MP. You actually have a 45? I love it!. I feel comfortable
    with a little 25cal that fits nicely in a pocket.

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I totally agree with Miss Prissy! Can you imagine just how many kids might not have have been killed at Virginia Tech if just one of those victims could have shot back? I too have a concealed carry permit and seldom leave home unarmed. Paranoid? I dont think so. I prefer to protect "me and mine" whether it be at WalMart, Foodlion or any other place there is a potential threat, IMHO!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I carry this one.

[​IMG]

My husband has an H&K .45 and a Wilson Combat .45. He carries the H&K more than the Wilson.

I can't pull back either one. So I had to find one that I could use. I have carpel tunnel issues and at times my hands can be rather weak.

When I took the safety and shooting course it was through the local sheriff's dept. the police officer told each of us ladies - If we pull the gun use it. make sure we shoot kill not to mame. Don't be wishy washy. Protect yoursevles. A wounded criminal can still kill you. I heed his advise.

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I for the life of me cannot find anything in the second amendment saying "exception handguns".

I do not care for handguns with high capacities and puny rounds but if I wanted one I should legally be able to obtain it without alot of hassle. I like the larger caliber revolvers myself. Anything smaller than a 357 magnum is not my cup of tea. When it comes to handguns I want something I can defend myself as well as effectively take down big game with. I don't want it to be so large it makes it cumbersome to carry either. Before anyone says it yes hunting with a hand gun is legal in Georgia. If it came down to a hunt or starve situation I would grab that handgun over a rifle any day.

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The fight's not over by a long shot. If you aren't already an NRA and GOA member, please consider joining. It's a good time to throw a $20 bill to places like the Cato Institute and the Institute for Justice as well.

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:I like you even more, Prissy.

9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I agree! That 5-4 vote scared the s*** out of me!

10. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I may be young, but I do have a strong opinion on this. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Or should I say, BAD people that have guns kill people. And no, I don't believe it is murder if you kill in self defense, or in the defense of someone else. I totally agree with MP. Bad guys will ALWAYS have guns. No amount of governmental regulation will hinder that much. My father has a concealed carry permit, and carries a .45 with him wherever we go. We (as in all the kids) know exactly where the thing is kept in different situations, so that if he is injured or cannot get to it, we can. In my opinion, in this day and age, carrying a gun is just common sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by