THE SUSPENCE IS KILLING ME!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dees ducks, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    Hi All,
    Just thought I'd share my first hatching experience......
    First time for me trying to hatch 6 Cayuga ducklings in a cheap incubator.
    I've struggled with the humidity levels throughout the incubation and yesterday, on lockdown day/day 25, I found that 4 of the eggs had already started to pip before lockdown. Well you could have knocked me down with a feather!
    Needless to say I quickly filled up the water reservoir, lowered temperature and put a rush order on Amazon for chick starter crumb.
    Ok.....so fast forward 24 hours and no more progress.
    At what stage should I start to get worried?
    Anybody have a similar experience?
    Also, one of the eggs has piped at the wrong end but it's jiggling about and cheaping so should I be concerned.
    Any help and advice would be really appreciated.
    Thank you - a worried Mammy.

2. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    They usually rest for 24 to 30 hours after they pip. Then they will start to zip, they may also 'rest' while they are zipping too! Sometimes it can take them 48 hours to hatch.
    Just make sure the malpositioned chick's pip hole is pointing up. If it doesn't resume pipping or zipping after the 24 to 30 hour time peroid then you might want to consider doing an assisted hatch.

3. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    Thanks for that I feel a little less stressed. The one piping at the wrong end is piping at the side so seems ok, I will keep my eye on them all today and hope for the best.

4. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Songster

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    :pop

5. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    OMG - First one hatched at 5pm UK time. I've called him Oddball and it's definitely a male as his timing stinks (he was way too early) and now he like a bull in a china shop tearing about the incubator, moving all the other eggs and chirping at them loudly to get a move on! Fingers crossed for the others. IMG_20190319_194454.jpg IMG_20190319_194517.jpg IMG_20190319_194517.jpg

6. Magnolia Ducks

Magnolia Ducks Songster

Jan 24, 2018
    Magnolia, TX
    So very cute. More pictures!:wee

Miss Lydia and MROO like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

Adorable!! he'll get the others motivated for sure.

MROO, DuckyDonna and 007Sean like this.
  8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It is nerve racking!!
    Congrats!!

MROO, Miss Lydia, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Congratulations :clap hope the rest hatch, without problems. :jumpy

10. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    What a rollercoaster, traumatic week.........
    5 out of the 6 eggs hatched with sadly the one that hatched from the wrong end ( named Uppsydaisy) dying after about 30 minutes of being born. So I like cried for 2 hours saying no way was I ever going to go through this again! Yesterday I was a bag of nerves and having anxiety attacks worrying about the other 4 as 3 of the all seemed very floppy and lifeless (not like the first Oddball as mentioned was charging around the incubator from the moment he hatched). Well I woke at 5am this morning to find 4 very healthy, fluffy, active and cheeky ducklings eating and drinking in-between naps.
    Then I had two further surprises this morning........
    The last egg piped and hatched and although seems very very weak is sleeping and drying out in the incubator. Please God it will be fine but am watching very carefully today.
    The other surprise was that my 6 month old duck called Matilda laid her first egg!!!!!
    Yeay
    Pics of ducklings will follow but at the moment they are just piled in the corner of the brooder like a fluffy, cheaping pile

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: