The suspense is already killing me!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mle022, Mar 1, 2015.

1. mle022

mle022 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    CA
    What do you think this little one might be? It was in the pullet bin at TSC and it was the only one that was this color. I've gone through the entire special order form, looking up what it might be and came up with nothing. Any guesses? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secretly hoping it's a golden laced Wyandotte. But I doubt it is.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Not a GLW, at least not a proper one. It has a single comb instead of a rose comb (which would look like an inverted horse shoe with the luck running down the beak at this age).

My guess would be Partridge Rock (though not quite right) or a Barnevelder.

LofMc

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. mle022

Oct 13, 2014
    CA
    Ooo, both of those look like they could very well be, and would also be a great addition to my flock. I can't wait to see how it matures!

It's like a mystery bag, but I've never been good at patience when it comes to finding out what's inside. [​IMG]

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    What color are the legs? If yellow or white, I have no guesses. If weird brown color, then I guess as follows ...

Long shot Guess: Golden Campine that is hetero for pattern gene. Golden Campines are E^R (Birchen), Db (aka Ginger), and Pg (pattern). E^R/E^R Db/Db Pg/Pg. If only one Pg is there (Pg/pg+), then the chick looks like the one above. When grown, will have blurry lacing/pencilling. Watch for early large comb. A Guess! [​IMG] But when a hatchery doesn't have to answer to anyone about what breed each chick is, then it's not a problem to add in a non-purebred Golden Campine into the "Pullet Surprise" bin.

2nd Wild Guess: Iowa Blue [​IMG]

TSC likes Privett Hatchery. Privett carries both Golden Campines and Iowa Blues.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
  6. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Well, no, I can't see purebred Golden Campine either ... except that genetic mix that I described (pattern Pg/pg+) changes the chicken down on what would have been a purebred Golden Campine. Specific chick downs are linked to specific genetics. E^R chick with Db often ends up with that chick down, but the pattern is changed because the chick is lacking one Pg allele (ugh is the the proper term?). I guessed Iowa Blue because they are also often E^R Db, which gives a similar chick down, though their genetics are still trying to be figured out completely last time I was paying attention ... and who knows what kind of Iowa Blue stock Privett got? So again, my guesses are just guesses.

But if there is a huge comb at about 5 weeks, that increases the chances of a non-pure, but still delightful, Golden Campine.

Chickens are the best! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mle022

Oct 13, 2014
    CA
    Excellent discussion!

I'm pretty certain they did come from Privett, as they told me they were shipped from NM when I spoke to the manager about a chick I got that was not eating. (Luckily it pulled through)

I will get a picture of it's legs for you. :)

8. mle022

Oct 13, 2014
    CA
    [​IMG]

9. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    I'm like you. I love barnyard mixes for the unknown factor. The first 3-5 weeks are the hardest but most exciting.

10. Spangled

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Well, the shanks on your chick don't look yellow or white. Most domestic chicken shanks and feet are white or yellow or black. Campine and Iowa Blues and some others have an interesting shade of brown legs. I don't know the proper color name: Lead? Slate? Blue? [​IMG] But there are lots and lots of breeds and mixed breeds that your chicken could not be because of the leg color.

I tell you what, though, I want a chick like yours. That rich sable-colored down is beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by