The swans come by to check out the new neighbors . . . 3 photos

Discussion in 'Geese' started by larkflying, Jan 30, 2012.

1. We had some Trumpter swans stop by to check out the geese. [​IMG]

The geese were impressed and stayed far, far away from the swans. The ducks are hiding behind the geese here. That is their method of dealing with strange things. And please note that the geese weren't loose -- I let them out to take this picture but I would have scared the swans off if it looked like the geese were going to go and investigate. Don't need a swan vs goose fight -- pretty sure I know who would win that! The geese look elegant until you see them with swans . . .

We have trumpeters in our area (NW Washington State) from November through late February -- they usually hang out in the corn fields but every now and then they land in the hayfield. Wish we had a large pond . . . they'd stay then I think. On my list of future projects!

Here the swans are alert, but I think they care more about me than the geese. Their necks look so impossible!
    [​IMG]

I think the two sitting grey juvenile swans are gossiping about the geese. "They have such short necks! And they don't talk right! Why don't they fly away from that scary person?"

[​IMG]

And there go the swans . . . they stayed for 30 minutes or so, but I had to chase in a chicken that had gotten out, and I moved too quickly for the swans to tolerate I think. The geese look sort of wistful as the swans fly away . . . Or maybe they are relieved!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful photos and play by play action [​IMG]

3. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Wow ! Cool photos! Your geese look just like mine, larkflying. I have never seen a wild swan. Thanks for posting!

4. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Wow ! Cool photos! Your geese look just like mine, larkflying. I have never seen a wild swan. Thanks for posting!

5. Thanks!

6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    LOVELY! I've haven't seen a wild swan since I was a kid and used to visit a local pond with my grandma to watch the ducks. I imagine they make such a different sound when they fly overhead than the Canada Honkers do. I love watching the Honkers fly over, would really enjoy seeing the swans.

Thanks so much for the pictures :)

7. Duckadia

Duckadia Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Narrabri, AUS
    Fantastic pictures! we don't gets any swans, but we do get various other birds flying over head and landing nearby, and our goose HATES these other creatures. She gives them a death stare, and honks at them as if to say "how DARE you come here! what do you think you're doing in MY yard?" she even gets angry at HELICOPTERS!

8. Duckadia,

What a funny picture -- she knows she is the boss, that is for sure! All helicopters had better keep their distance [​IMG]

9. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for sharing your photos larkflying!! I don't think I've ever seen swans in flight!! [​IMG]

10. I didn't see any flying swans either, till we moved out here 12 years ago and just happened to be between where the swans sleep, and feed -- every morning they fly overhead -- it is beautiful! Just wish they would stop and visit more often. And that they believe me when I explain that I won't hurt them, I just want to get a little closer to take their picture [​IMG]

Ah, well. There's a lot of wild birds I wish we had around here in the Pacific Northwest -- cardinals and mockingbirds -- but I'm thankful for the swans!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by