The sweetest hen ever: Fuzzy Butt

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WriterofWords, Nov 10, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    This is Fuzzy Butt, she lives in the Mulberry tree in front because she doesn't want to be bothered by the roos. She lives there with Buffy, Woo, and Butterscotch, but while they come down into the "ladies" pen and take dirt baths and such, she doesn't. When I go out to feed she hops down onto the tall swimming pool ladder I put under the tree for her to eat and drink on. I'll pick her up and walk her way out away from the others and set her down and she plays in the dirt and chases bugs or whatever for about 15 minutes then she wants back in her tree. I worry about it getting cold and I've tried to convince her to roost in the coop with the other girls, but she won't do it. You can see in her face how sweet she is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What a sweet little girl. Well, you know, everyone is different, and some folks are just loners. Must be the same for chickens. Very cool that you respect her individuality and let her hang where she feels the most comfortable. Not everyone wants to be part of a flock.

3. island.girlie

island.girlie Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks like a Diva [​IMG]

She's a cool chick [​IMG]

4. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

If you feel it's going to be too cold for her, maybe you could practice a little tough love with her. Maybe put her in a cat carrier so she feels safe from the others but is still in the warmth of the coop? Just as an aside.... you have beautifully unique birds and great stories to go along with them! Thank you [​IMG]

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Thank you. Yes she's a Diva and when I go out to the pen that's under the tree she expects her treats first. She actually runs throught the branches to make sure she is on that ladder waiting. Every now and then though, she'll jump in the middle of whatever I'm holding to try and get her portion first.

I think their unique personalities are so fun, I attribute them to treating them as individuals with their own personalities rather than just a bunch of feathered egg layers. I've never been able to separate my feelings and emotions from the animals around me. Ever since I was very young I've had empathetic relationships with them and at times it's overwhelming, but I could never be without natures best friends.

If it gets too cold guess who will be spending the nights in my office in a really big bird cage?..... lol

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    As I read this thread, I was thinking that I'd probably make a little coop just for the four tree dwellers to live in. Now that I've read your last post, well, who could resist an office chicken??? She looks very beautiful and intelligent. I can see why you are so taken with her. [​IMG]

7. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Actually on my way to school this morning, Steven suggested we build them a tree house of their own. So we are giving that some thought.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    See there ya go....a treehouse is a fabulous idea!

She looks so precious. Maybe she is scared of Nugget? Gawd I love that roo.

He and the Suedenator, who owns Speckledhen, just rock in my book.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    She's beautiful! I hope you can find a solution soon. [​IMG]

The treehouse sounds like a fabulous idea, BTW!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  10. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Quote:She doesn't like ANY of the roos, the only hen she associates with is Woo or Buffy and that isn't much at all. We have to work out tree house plans though, I've never made one of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by