The tail of an unlucky Ruby...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Whitewinterwolf, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    My name is Ruby...And I am a GORGEOUS laced EE.
    [​IMG]
    Look at my tail! Isn't it just the most beautiful thing you have veer seen?
    [​IMG]
    I wouldn't say im unlucky either, just unfortunate...
    I was born on a farm and given to a nice man who couldn't keep me and my sisters, understandable, but frustrating...I was happy there...
    Then this woman came and got us, put us in a box and then brought us home. Do you think she would be kind and just put us in our new coop? NO!
    That evil pink thing BATHED me then hit us with a blast of warm air! Just because I fell asleep does NOT mean I enjoyed it!!!
    FINALLY we were put outside and what happens? I get FLOGGED by this big buff Orphington hen named Bug...
    After a while things settled down, I was the lowest of the pecking order, but that was ok...I have to admit this new place was awesome! Grass, food, trees to roost in and a warm awesome coop.
    Then the sky fell, I never knew it was white?
    That was when my luck turned bad...
    The woman was out with the dogs, everyone told me not to worry, that they human wouldn't let them hurt us, that everything would be ok. Bull...The beagle found a way into the coop and who do you think they found??? ME!!! The ripped my tail feathers out and pinned me in the snow!!!
    The human saved me...Shes not that bad...BUT MY POOR BUTT!!! OMG DO YOU SEE That!!???
    [​IMG]
    She helped me get better, so I guess shes ok...
    Well, about a week later this new rooster was brought in, man did Roopert fight for us, and he won! But the stupid pink thing came in and took Roopert away to fix him up better, you tyhink she took the other guy in? No...
    The very next day, the unthinkable happened...A hawk appeared...
    Do you think the new guy warned us? Do you think he tried to help us? No...
    He sat and screamed in the coop like a newly hatched peeping chick!
    We ran for dear life but the hawk grabbed me!!! I screamed for help and V'v tried to karate chop it, but it just swooped back up and nailed me again. I thought it was the end, I thought I was about to die, when I heard this screaming thumping thing crashing towards me. I looked up to see the hawk simply staring dumbfounded as the woman charged it with a big red stick. She sounded worse then Roopert when he finds mud on his scratch.
    She flailed and wailed and whacked at the hawk until it flew away with its tail between its legs and a few feathers missing!
    I was so scared I couldn't move, and she sounded so kind when she picked me up...
    After a moment or two I was out of shock and sitting on her lap, in the middle of the coop. Never thought a human would sit down and actually wait for me to want to leave its lap. Forget that she was warm!
    Now I have lost my tail...Lost the feathers on the side of my neck...Lost feathers from my wings, and lost feathers from my back.
    However, I dont have anything broken, no wounds, and nothing but feather loss and some mites from that jerk...
    Now look at me...
    [​IMG]
    My poor butt, neck, back, and wings!!!! But thankfully right after this happened the woman took that dumb fraidy chick away and brought Roopert back.
    But...In reality I dont think im unlucky...I think im REALLY LUCKY!!!

*Ok, everything I wrote is actually what happened. And as for the hawk attack...I am ashamed to say that I let out a rooster worthy alarm call and went out swinging. The neighbor was convinced I was nuts.
    The hawk just looked at me with this look of what???? I never ended up hitting it, but god Bug sure did! My dominant hen and V'v attacked this thing, grabbed hold of its head and ripped out feathers. Im not sure if it was hurt or not but it did end up flying away crooked after all of my hens+me ended up attacking it.
    I never thought that hens of all things would protect one of there own so ferociously. Seriously I thought that one of them was about to die for poor Ruby! And right after the beagle ripped her poor butt out T_T When it flew off and left Ruby I she didn't move, I was convinced she was dead until she opened her eye and just looked at me. My poor baby!!! She ended up just being shocked and was fine, I set her on my lap and she stayed there for apparently an hour. Now every time I go out to the coop she rushes over to me and hide's under my legs. Ugh...Well I thought you all would enjoy the little story from her point of view, And the side story of how I went nuts protecting my hens [​IMG]*

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Great story loved it poor Ruby. But I'm glad she has you. [​IMG]

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I know I felt so bad for her, her poor butt, but at least shes alive!

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yeah! I have a dog who would love to kill my chicks.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Thankfully my guys just thought she was a living squeak toy and wanted to fine the squeaker haha ha...But yeah the coop is normally sturdy, but with the sudden snow he was able to find a weak spot. AT least shes ok [​IMG]

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thank goodness you were there. She is so pretty.

7. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    wow!! Poor baby, everything is beating up on her LOL

She's a lucky chicken! I bet it was amazing seeing the other chickens trying to defend her

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh I know, everything that happened to her made me panic so badly T_T
    But when those hens came to her rescue I was seriously shocked! I always thought that the hens ran as the rooster defended them???
    But they went physio on it as soon as i started screaming XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by