The Taj Ma Cluck is Finished! Drum Roll Please....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KimberlyJ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    It took us 3 times longer to construct than we planned and twice as much money....but our coop and run are FINALLY finished. My husband is a wonderful man, but he is just NOT a builder...of course we learned this AFTER we started building the run! The shed is from Best Built Sheds in Forestville CT, we modified the right side and added the run. Hubby has his tool shed and I have my chickens! (I've waited two years...) We've learned fast from this forum and have applied chicken math to our situation...we have 5 chickens but we built large enough to house the 12 allowed by our city ordinances. SO since we spent so much time and money on the project it only stands to reason we get 7 more chicks. That way the Cost per Chicken is less! We're figuring each hen needs to lay approximately 2,472 eggs per day for us to break even!

The outside
    [​IMG]

We learned from this forum and used hardware cloth not chicken wire and buried wire on the outside. We also added rocks to prevent tunneling.

The inside
    [​IMG]

Inside we did use chicken wire. The girls like to roost in the rafters so we added a roosting board up high.

They seem happy so far....now how do we introduce the new 7 to the current 5????

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    It's lovely! [​IMG]

3. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Thanks! I seriously thought it would NEVER get finished. The poor girls were stuck inside for 3 weeks while we re-dug the 7 holes 42" deep and re-squared it all....

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Nice coop! Very spacious... [​IMG]

5. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Hey...you forgot a pic of the ladies!
    Everything looks great! Good job [​IMG]

6. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

It looks great!

My husband's family reunion was this weekend, and I tinkered with the notion of charging admission to help defray our construction costs. [​IMG]

Rachel

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I think its a great job! [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Fantastic! [​IMG] It is just wonderful. [​IMG]

9. Lifestyle Lift Journey

Lifestyle Lift Journey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    It looks very nice. Good job!

I like the way you calculated how to break even. 2,472 eggs per day by 5-12 chickens...

wow!
    They have to work very very hard don't they?
    They now have a big secure home. You must be very proud!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by