The Taj Mah-Cluck!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BluesChicken, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BluesChicken

BluesChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    CA Bay Area - East Bay
    I've been dithering for several months...do I get 3-4 nice friendly hens so that I can enjoy their company and eggs, or do I not so as to maintain my "freedom" to ride my motorcycles and travel to far-away places. After going back and forth (and with some encouragement from wife, children and friends...and from cruising the discussions in BYC!!) I decided that best way to commit would be to build a simple, little coop. At this point you should visualize eye-rolls from all my children, grandchildren, wife, friends and neighbors...

I started with a purchased plan from Plans Design ( www.plansd.com ) for a small salt-box roofed coop. I am generally happy with the plan I received, and very happy with the interactions I had with the real people there. The plans would get a grade of B+...the people would get a grade of A+ ! I do not recommend this route unless you actually have some experience with building.

[​IMG]

You start by building a 4x5 platform on "skids"...HaHa! I thought "skids" meant you could slide it around easily. After it is finished it weighs approximately, allowing for any moisture it absorbs from the air, 1.8 million pounds!

[​IMG]

It begins to take shape. I modified the plans to fit my particular yard, meaning I moved the door, hatch and nests around from the original.

[​IMG]

Ah yes...still taking sha ... wait ... Dang the shiny side goes on the INSIDE!! (Note to self: Read instructions carefully).

[​IMG]

Much better! Time for tar-paper and shingles before the rain gets here. Well ... at least the tar-paper.

[​IMG]

Rain rain go away...Come again another day...

[​IMG]

Doh! One shingle short! Oh well, the basic painting is done. Wish those windows would hurry up and get here.

[​IMG]

I can build a roost while I'm waiting. Of course after shifting doors and hatches and windows, there isn't an obvious place to put it. Well, I guess the girls can sort it out amongst themselves.

[​IMG]

Hah! Done (mostly) ... Now to find some nice little chicks who will grow up an come to love our little Taj Mah-Cluck!

Oh yeah....gotta move this thing back to the fence!

Hope you enjoyed the story. I certainly enjoyed putting it all together!

Dave

1 person likes this.
  2. Fletch83

Fletch83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Texas
    Wow! That looks like such a nice coop and I love the paint job! [​IMG]

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I love it and I bet so will the chickens. Are you going to build a run?

4. BluesChicken

Oct 13, 2012
    CA Bay Area - East Bay
    Yes a run is in the works, I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but basically it will be a safe place for the little cluckers to romp and scratch!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  5. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    It looks great! Love how you told us the story of it too:) Just a thought- not meant to ruin the happiness of finally being done with building- someone might get pooped on trying to head for the door under the roost. Lol

6. BluesChicken

Oct 13, 2012
    CA Bay Area - East Bay
    HaHa! Yes I thought of that too, and actually spent some time trying different arrangements for the roosts. The problem is that this coop is pretty small inside, just 4x4 or a bit less. I thought that 3-4 hens could sort out who got the top roost among themselves and so there ought to be a choice. If you experts think they can get by with just 1 roost that will free up quite a bit more room.

7. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    Wow! Great coop, well done you! :D

8. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Love your coop you have great carpentry skills. I wish I did. As to your roost issue. You might want to scrap the ladder style roost and go for a 2 x 4 with the 4" surface on top and run it higher than the nest boxes between the framing 2 x 4 on the wall where the pop door is and the opposite side. That should give them pleanty of roosting space and be higher than the nest boxes and maximize the floor space.
    My chickens prefer a flat roost over a round one.

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    You did a beautiful job!! So envious of your yard too. Your chickens are going to love their paradise.

10. BluesChicken

Oct 13, 2012
    CA Bay Area - East Bay
    Nice suggestion, thanks. So one roost should be plenty?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by