1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The taming of the ducks - I'm kind of excited!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jun 3, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Just thought I'd share this story because I'm somewhat excited.

In early April we bought our first pair of muscovies at an auction, turns out the guy that had brought them is also a BYC member. He told us that they were hatched last summer and had been raised with about 60 other ducks, not really handled by humans until he clipped wings in the spring. Well of course they have had NOTHING to do with us - in fact we had to clip the wings of the drake (he only did hen ducks) and that drake earned himself the name Duck Dodger. They run from us hissing, etc. Well in the last few weeks I've noticed less hissing and more like a fast walk away [​IMG] I've just tried to ignore them, let them see me leave treats out and not pressure them into coming to me.

I think it is working! Today I was sitting on the ground luring the other baby ducks that are not human imprinted to me with a scoop of food. I have about 10 of them now that will eat out of the scoop and let me stroke their backs. As I was doing this - lo and behold Duck Dodger and his faithful companion Dee Dee were less than a foot away!! They have never willing been this close to me! I slowly offered him the scoop of food but he just stood and watched, then walked away.

Progress is exciting!

Now if only Dee Dee would lay eggs [​IMG]

Duck Dodger:
    [​IMG]

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Ya! [​IMG] That is great

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] Congrats! That takes a lot of patience [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I don't normally like the black pied scovys but he is BEAUTIFUL!

Congrats! (my ducks think I'am a big monster trying to eat them [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by