the term ORGANIC

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by njduck, Aug 8, 2011.

1. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I see alot of people buy based on the labeling of organic. I consider this a great scam by our government trying to protect the American people. You have to Pay the US Government to be certified and inspected. The regulatons are tremendous. All of this sounds good, but read the list of allowable chemicals. You can still use pesticides, you can use chemicals to thin fruit trees verses manual thining. You can even use petoleum based products that have been thinned down to food grade. Their website is hard to navigate verses just makeing a list with chemical names and commercial names. Most people do not know, understand or have the time to research all the chemicals and applications to see what can be used. The general public, believes if the USDA says it is organic, that it is chemical free. This is just not the case.

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Bingo!! you hit it on the head I have said for years that it is a scam. It is a huge scam, everything I eat comes from the earth and is chemical based of some sort. It seems that organics popularity is tied to living longer/healthier both of which is unproven. Eating healthy foods is proven to lead to better health regardless of the organic labels. People often complain about having choices and the ability to choose but are eager to let government types dictate to them as if they are not capable of deciding for themselves, dummying down I think it is called.

This subject rears its' head here from time to time.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Regardless, I try to avoid stuff sprayed with carcinegens when I can help it.[​IMG] And please, don't bother telling me about all the carcinegens i am in contact with - I know already - I am paranoid. lol

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I always tell people if you want to eat organic then grow your own food. Otherwise you are still eating pesticides.

And don't get me started on cage-free eggs.

And I have noticed that our younger generation of Americans are less capable of of actually thinking, or finding a resolution to a problem.

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I don't use that word at all. I hate that term. me and you seem to think alot a like. It is a way for the stores and government to suck more money out people. It's also very anyoing that people think food that is farmed converntualy is not safe..... It's VERY safe in Canada and the US. We have some of the toughest regulations in the world! [​IMG]

I eat healthy not (it burns [​IMG] ) orgainc

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I still eat organic (when I can't grow it, or buy it from a local farm) because although they can put some pesticides in it I can taste the difference so I guess it is a lot less than conventional.

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I can relate... I hired 2 15 year old kids among others to hand pick some fields after disking/plowing them of rocks and roots, they just could not figure it out they would walk behind the other guys, stand and look at the mountains pretty much everything but work. My foreman explained to them what/how to do it several times. Finally I fired the them, too bad the parents could not teach them how to work I tried for about a week. Hand picking is not rocket science. Oh, they do well in our public schools though grades and all. [​IMG]
    Quote:

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:
    i am confuzzled did you have them picking rocks or veg? Beacuse i hate picking rocks but well do it (who likes it?) i can't belive there were people my age that could not pick rocks [​IMG]

9. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    They were picking rocks softball size and larger and sticks 2" diameter and larger and over 4 feet long. Simple pimple so I thought.

10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:It has NEVER been the case. Ever. Anyone that believes that it ever was has never understood what organic was all about.

My first subscription to a "grown up" magazine when I was a boy was to Rodale's "Organic Gardening & Farming" back when it was still in the small format on pulp paper. It was a never-ending debate even then as to what was and was not "organic" and it still is now. The whole concept was about improving your land but it slowly morphed into a consumer's movement. People wanted more and more processed foods and convenience foods that were organic so the definition began to stretch. There have always been chemicals allowed in organic agriculture from day one. But they had to be "natural" chemicals and sometimes the differences between what was natural and not-natural could be pretty thin.

As always it is up to the consuming public to think for themselves. Many, many people wanted organic food. They wanted organic certification. So naturally folks tried to supply it. It started to become a major business so more and more folks began to demand more and more regulation of what was and was not organic which in turn created more and more definitions. Which is how we got where we are today.

It was never a simple concept even before it turned into a consumer's movement and became big business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by