the thing with predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JMarch, Sep 11, 2011.

1. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    It would be one thing if when they came, they kill one chicken or guinea and eat it to survive, but foxes, coons, and bobcats have come thru and slaughtered more than 5 birds at a time- that's what I don't have the patience for- predators beware!!!

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    It is kina funny a lot of time folks raising poultry do not realize that they have trappers living around them only after a trapper moves away and all of a sudden critters start appearing that were never there before that and trapping season will start and a chicken owner will start using human pee or what ever the latest advice is ,the trapper started catching 3-7 critters a day the chicken owner starts to see a difference in the pred numbers and thinks its the pee that did it LOL

3. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    HA! I do actually make it a point to pee around the pen at least once a week. Part of our problem is that we're somewhat suburban/rural- basically rural in the midst of a city, so there's a leash law which results in dogs arent around to run off the wildlife (altho I guess they also don't antagonize the poultry too). We keep traps set out regularly out here in the woods behind our property and continue to catch possoms and coons a LOT. I usually haul them off about 15 miles. Bobcats, hawks, and foxes lately have been the menace!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by