The Toad Who Almost Was Eaten

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken19, Jun 21, 2016.

1. chicken19

chicken19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Today I was in the garden picking strawberries.
    Then I noticed a large toad hopping around on the ground with a large tube looking thing attached to it.

I ran over and realized that the tube was in fact a garter snake trying to eat the toad.
    The poor toad was all bloody and leaving a bloody trail.
    It's entire left arm was in the snake's throat.

I let nature run it's course but I was interested of how the process would work out so I stayed and watched.

Suddenly the snake let go of it's prey and slithered off in search of some other poor creature to attempt to digest.

After some pondering I grabbed the toad, set up a toad-cage, and set to work fixing this toad up.

I cleaned the toad off (ugghhh, snake snot, dirt and blood!) and put poly-sporin on a cut on the toad's belly.

Then, I fed the toad 2 worms, a spider, and a slug.
    The toad hasn't aten them yet, in fact the slug decided that the toad was the best shelter so I took up residence under the toad's belly.
    The toad also has a shallow water dish to wade into (which it has).

Hopefully the toad survives.

If you have experience keeping toads, please send me your tips!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Put something to attract flies, like a blob of meat or something. Make sure he can stay damp. I had toads in the dairy barn that gobbled up the bugs that dropped from the florescent lights when I was milking.

3. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    Thanks, I will. How about chicken poo?

I'm getting kind of worried about the toad's cut. The skin is not closing and there is no clotting.
    I cleaned the wound again today with water, then medical alchohal, then put a little Kid's Polysporin, and then a layer of Zincoderm (which I hope is not poisinous to toads).

I think the toad is a she... I'm still thinking of a name.

4. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    I named her... Strawberry!

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Just a comment. If you look around the internet you ought to be able to find information about how to care for a toad. We had them in our zoology lab when I was in college, but that was a long time ago and I was never involved with their care. However, it shouldn't be too difficult.

6. chicken19

Jul 16, 2015
    Riding my horse
    My Coop
    I let her go today. I had researched all about toad care, but she was getting depressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by