The Traditional American Chicken Coop

Chieftain

Songster
10 Years
Dec 21, 2009
I found this article in an old Rodale Press book that I have had around for half of forever, called "Build it Better Yourself", and was published in 1977. It has some pretty sound ideas for those who are struggling to understand what the chickens need. I used this plan for the slanted poop board I installed under my roost.

Here is the article as scanned. I left the pages large enough for you to print them out for study as you continue your planning.

2010-03-09-0927-19.jpg

2010-03-09-0929-44.jpg

2010-03-09-0930-55.jpg

2010-03-09-0932-06.jpg

2010-03-09-0934-07.jpg

finals015.jpg

I present this as a good example of a plan to deviate from, update to your own requirements and build accordingly. The text is quite interesting to read and see how animal husbandry has (and has not) changed over 33 years...but there are some basic construction concepts shown here that might help quite a few New Eggs...

Enjoy!

wink.png

That is so cool! and just in time. LOL I am building my big coop now. This gives me a few ideas. I had a plan and it was good. But this is better than I was thinking! Thank you for posting this! ITS GREAT!!!

Thanks and God Bless!

The final picture - I assume is of your coop? Is that a slanted poop board? This is the first I have seen something like that. Could you elaborate on that design?

Hi, I have that very same coop in my backyard! It was built around 1925, give or take a few years. Here are some photos…

Inside of coop as it is now
P1010008.jpg

Side door of coop as it is now
coop_side2.jpg

Exterior front of coop as it is now
coop_front_side.jpg

Exterior front of coop as it was in approx. 1952
coop.jpg

Bumping back to the top for you New Eggs looking for some basic design guidelines and ideas. Solid, proven construction techniques are always in order, and something along these lines, updated to modern code, can be useful in any number of ways....

Cheers!

wink.png

Great info, thank you for sharing that! I think I am going to save the scans so that I can print them out for reference. We aren't doing anything anywhere near that big but it looks like it has some really helpful information in there.

Back
Top Bottom