The trials of the first broodies - Funny story!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Dec 28, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I suddenly have two broodies - Broody #1, a meatie on day 11. She's a good girl. Sits in her nest all day, doesn't raise a fuss unless someone tries to enter her palace, gets up to eat and drink without being forced to once a day.

Broody #2, a SF. I gave her eggs yesterday after she decided she was serious. She's not quite 7 months old. Unfortunately she decided to go broody in everyones favorite box. Other pullets are climbing on top of her to lay their eggs, which she nicely tucks under her to add to her pile. She won't get off the nest unless I force her to. When I do force her and set her down in a front of a feeder, she does this pancake in a trance thing for about 10 minutes before she decides to eat before running screaming back to her eggs.

With me so far?

We decided that when we went to town today to buy a new stove we would go by walmart and buy a dog kennel to house this second broody in. With a door to keep the others out and food and water dishes she should be all set.

Problem is, we were in town alot longer than we planned to be. We get home after dark, it's 35 degrees out and raining. All the chickens are settled on their roosts. The two silkies are sleeping on top of the broody's nestbox, in their usual spot. We get the new kennel all set up - lined with pine shavings with a nest of hay over it. Carry it into the coop and first thing I realize is that I am going to have to give my silkies a new place to sleep. They'd obviously been out in the rain cuz they looked like drowned rats.

I thought it would be a simple matter of moving the eggs to the new nest, moving the broody, close the door. Chickens don't like my way of thinking.

The minute I set the broody down outside the nestbox she started screaming and running in circles; until she ran into a feeder, then she decided to eat. She ran screaming back and forth between the two feeders and the waterer, with me instructing DH to track her with the flashlight, so she could see to eat and drink. I moved the silkies and they added their screams to the broody's. My rooster jumped down off of his roost ready to defend his hens against whatever was making them scream. I was tempted to tell DH to turn the flashlight off, but I had to have at least some light to see by.

Tried to put the broody on the new nest, but she kept running back to her old one. Ended up taking the hay outta the crate so I could fit her old nestbox, in its entirety, into the crate. Gave the silkies the hay to snuggle in, to dry off. Now to grab the broody without the roo coming after me and get her into the new nestbox.

Before I could catch her, DH speaks up...."OMG! What the heck* is that smell?!?" He turns the flashlight on and shines it on the spot the broody has just vacated. Me (with an air of authority): "That would be broody poop"

I may not have the first clue about what to do with a broody, but I know what broody poop smells like, just from all the descriptions on BYC. [​IMG]

Side note: I noticed one of the silkies staring at the broody today, with a strange look in her eyes. I've threatened the silkie with her life should she get any ideas. [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Um, gee, Kat, I'm really sorry you're having such issues with your broody girls.
    Seems like only yesterday that someone I know and love was wishing for a broody...hmmmmmm, wonder who that was? I just can't remember now...
    Aren't they just a barrel of monkeys(if the monkeys are screaming, angry and ready to peck your eyes out)? [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Ya gotta love Keith though. He helped me every step of the way. Didn't complain that I got hay and shavings all over his workshop while getting the crate ready.

You'd have to know the man to really understand, but here's this ex-commercial chicken farmer gagging and rushing to cover the pile of broody poop up with some shavings cuz he couldn't handle the smell. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

< trying to keep a straight face >
    "The best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft agley!"

Wonder how things will go tomorrow morning?

(From "To A Mouse" by Robrt Burns
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Mouse)

5. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    He is most definitely a keeper!
    Hopefully you chuckled very quietly under your breath in the midst of his gagging(don't want to hurt his feeling, ya know).

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah and how many BYCers told me that moving a broody hen at night was the thing to do (to keep her calm)?? If tonight was calm, I'd hate to see what would have happened if I tried it in the light of day!
    *Resisting the temptation to go back out there in the cold and rain to see if she settled back down on her eggs* (I think she did [​IMG] )

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Heck no, I was rolling [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh yeah, btw Kat- you have to move the broody in the dark, nest and all.

9. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] But just look what she would have missed had she done that! Screaming, maniacal broody, screeching silkies and gagging husband.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Now you tell me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by